THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joan McPhee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 2002 19:37:38 -0700
on 4/4/02 12:58 PM, Caron Mosey at [log in to unmask] wrote:

> TSH 5.16
> Free T4 1.15
> Free T3  224
>
> My TSH on January 2nd was 3.04.

Caron, could you please provide the ranges that the lab uses?  You are
entitled to a copy of your results.  The free T3 looks high, but depends on
the range.

> Today I got a note from the doc with comments on my various blood work, which
> says "Your thyroid function is in range (normal) at this time."

If your TSH is at the high end of "normal" and you still have hypothyroid
symptoms, you likely need an upward med adjustment.  You seem to have a
doctor who treats by numbers (lab results) only, and it's really important
to realize that you need to treat by numbers AND symptoms AND history.

Under .4 can indicate possible hyperthyroidism. Over 6 is considered
indicative of hypothyroidism. Note: increasing numbers of doctors are
finding that a TSH of around 1 - 2 is optimal for most people to feel well
and avoid having hypothyroid or hyperthyroid symptoms. There is now research
out that provides some scientific basis for this, saying that values above
TSH of 2 may in fact represent abnormal levels.
http://thyroid.about.com/library/weekly/bltest-values.htm

> Now I'm totally confused!!!  If my TSh was so close to one end of the range,
> and my Free T3 was out of range, how is my thyroid function normal???

Try Mary Shomon's site for all kinds of helpful information.  Starting here:
http://thyroid.about.com/library/howto/htthyroid-test.htm

Joan McPhee, not an M.D.
mailto:[log in to unmask]

   Control Your Self-Serve Thyroid Account Here
Rules - mailto:[log in to unmask]
NoMail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Mail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Not DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Stop Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Subject: [THYROID] - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Subscribe - http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?SUBED1=thyroid
Unsubscribe - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Thyroid Archives - http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/thyroid.html
Contact List Owners - mailto:[log in to unmask]