THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joan McPhee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Apr 2002 18:59:41 -0700
on 3/29/02 5:21 PM, weeden at [log in to unmask] wrote:
> From what I have read, I am not sure if I fall into Hyper, or Hypo. I get the
> heart palipations in the morning,usually cold feeling with times of hot and
> sweating, hair loss, dry flaking nails, high energy , and bouts of extreme
> tiredness. Looking back I seem at times to be hypo, and then hyper.I tend to
> be on the thin side, always have been, and my hands have always had fine
> tremors. The fluid they aspirated from my thyroid cyst was a thick brown-red
> colour.
> Any help would be appreciated, am getting stressed out at the long wait .
~~~~~~~~~~~

You definitely have symptoms of both hypo and hyper.  While Hashimoto's
autoimmune thyroid disease can present these swings, I'd wait for the
results of your FNA test.  In the end, diagnosis should take into account
both your labs and your symptoms.  In the meantime:

Here are some URLs to help you "know more than the doc":
~~~~~~~~~
http://thyroid.about.com/health/thyroid/mbody.htm
Mary Shomon - A good resource on thyroid problems including many links to
other pages which are worth following up.   Mary is the author of "Living
Well With Hypothyroidism - What your doctor doesn't tell you ... that you
need to know."

~~~~~~~~
http://thyroid.about.com/library/weekly/aa102797.htm?terms=top+docs
Mary Shomon's guide:  Who are the Top Docs?
This URL may help you locate a "top doc".  What makes a Top Doc? Someone who
listens? Someone who doesn't just manage you based on your TSH levels?
Someone who doesn't keep you waiting for hours for an appointment. It's very
different for everyone! But for the past several months, readers of
"Sticking Out Our Necks," my email newsletter, have been sending in
information on Top Docs, the doctors they really like and recommend in their
quest for good health while living with thyroid disease. Maybe one of these
doctors is the right one for you!

~~~~~~~~~~
http://thyroid.about.com/cs/testsforthyroid/
Mary Shomon's guide to thyroid disease.  Tests for Thyroid Disease.
Information about tests to diagnose thyroid disease, including the TSH, T4,
T3, TRH and thyroid uptake tests.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://thyroid.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.thyroid%2Din
fo.com/articles/docdon.htm
"Getting What You Need From Your Doctor: Challenges of Thyroid Care" - Mary
Shomon interview Don "Doc Don" Michael, M.D.  He practises holistic medicine
in South Bend, Indiana, went to Wayne State University School of Medicine,
completed a neurology residency, and later completed one in psychiatry.  He
was Board Certified by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology in
Psychiatry.

~~~~~~~~
http://www.hsc.missouri.edu/~daveg/thyroid/thy_test.html
Explanation for some of the thyroid function tests.

~~~~~~~~
http://www.endocrineweb.com
This claims to be the Largest web site for Thyroid, Parathyroid, Adrenal,
and Pancreas disorders. It contains good explanations of how the endocrine
system functions.

~~~~~~~~~
http://www.healthy.net/library/articles/schacter/hypothyr.d.htm
An excellent article on The Diagnosis and Treatment of Hypothyroidism
by Michael Schachter, M.D., P.C.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.ama-assn.org/sci-pubs/journals/archive/jama/vol_273/no_10/sc4291.
htm
JAMA - medical journal - thyroidism
This medical resource recommends only T4 (levothyroxine) as a treatment.  I
don't agree with this, but there is other useful information on the site.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.thyroidmanager.org/
THYROID DISEASE MANAGER
This site provides very authoritative insights about thyroid. The site
is maintained by thyroid experts from around the globe. More technical
but very resourceful especially the diagnostic and treatment algorithms.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.thyrolink.com/
Merck.  Similar to Thyroid Disease Manager. Also techical but reflects
international agreeemnts on guidelines.

~~~~~~~~~~~
http://thyroid.about.com/library/weekly/aa021199.htm
from the February 11, 1999 issue of the New England Journal of Medicine
(Volume 340, Issue 6, Page 0488)
"Effects of Thyroxine as Compared with Thyroxine plus Triiodothyronine in
Patients with Hypothyroidism" - Reports on the results of research that
found that "treatment with thyroxine plus triiodothyronine improved the
quality of life for most [hypothyroid] patients."

AND and interview with Dr. John Dommissee, on the same subject:

http://thyroid.about.com/library/weekly/aa092299.htm
John Dommisse, M.D. Interview - Thyroid Disease - 09/22/99 An Interview
with John DOMmisse, MD -  "Effects of Thyroxine as Compared with Thyroxine
plus Triiodothyronine in Patients with Hypothyroidism" by Robertas
Bunevicius, Gintautas Kazanavicius, Rimas Zalinkevicius, Arthur J. Prange,
Jr.. Research was conducted by the Institute of Endocrinology, Kaunas
Medical University, Kaunas, Lithuania along with the Department of
Psychiatry, School of Medicine, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill.

~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.meddean.luc.edu/lumen/MedEd/Medicine/endo/thyroid.htm
A slide presentation with very good insight into thyroid disorders

~~~~~~~~~~~
http:www.aace.com
AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF CLINICAL ENDOCRINOLOGISTS

~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.merck.com/pubs/mmanual/sections.htm
MERCK MANUAL OF DIAGNOSIS AND THERAPY
Section 2.  Detailed info on most endocrine disorders and other body systems
too.

~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.rxlist.com/
RXLIST - The Interned Drug Index
A drug searcher with complete details including drug interactions. Just type
either generic or brand name. Only drugs available in U.S.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.rxmed.com/index.html
RXMED
Similar to RxList but may not contain drugs not available in U.S. Search for
the desired subject.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
www.fda.gov/cder
   - then to drug info
   - then to one of the selections there
FDA info on all thyroid drugs on the market for FDA-approved prescription
drugs.  This gives manufacturer  + address, brand name, generic name,
strengths, history, etc. All in one little table.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://cp.gsm.com/fromcpo.asp
CLINICAL PHARMACOLOGY 2000
Comprehensive info on drugs. Requires registration.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/index.shtml
eMedicine - For thyroid emergencies and others as well.  Registration may be
required.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/PubMed/
PUBMED (MEDLINE SEARCH)
Medical searcher

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Joan McPhee, not an M.D.
mailto:[log in to unmask]

   Control Your Self-Serve Thyroid Account Here
Rules - mailto:[log in to unmask]
NoMail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Mail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Not DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Stop Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Subject: [THYROID] - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Subscribe - http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?SUBED1=thyroid
Unsubscribe - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Thyroid Archives - http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/thyroid.html
Contact List Owners - mailto:[log in to unmask]