THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 2 Apr 2002 09:15:57 -0500
> The main contention of groups opposing the use of aspartame is that one
> of its  by-products is methyl alcohol and considered to be responsible
> for its toxic effects. There are references that points to studies about
> aspartame's effect on inducing excessive insulin release
> (hyperinsulinemia). Hyperinsulinemia brings about a host of health
> damaging effects from athersclerosis to fatty liver disease, the
> symptoms and signs of which are not much different than the presentation
> of hypothyroidism.

One would have to ingest extremely large amounts of Aspartame to get
methanol poisening.  Even persons with alcoholic encephalopathy, hence
alcoholic damaged livers, when admistered a lot of Aspartame  present with
blood methanol in the normal ranges.  (From peer-reviewed studies.)  Similar
results for levels of insulin following Aspartame.  It's always possible
that there are human variants who have a variety of reactions to Aspartame.
The Center for isease Control, U.S.  attempted to catagorize the complaints
about Aspartame.  See  http://www.cdc.gov.mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00000426.htm
for a discussion about analyzing  the information.    Certainly direct human
measurement is necessary.  One of the communication problems which results
in fear seems to be information taken out of context of the system and the
pharmacokinetics of Aspartame and its breakdown products.  There seems to be
concern amoungst people about toxic effect of "chemicals" when in fact there
are many natural product chemicals in all the food we eat.  We don't usually
give food components "chemical" names (I do however) so they seem safe.
Even table salt (sodium chloride) can have toxic effects when ingested in
excess.  An awareness of toxic chemicals, especially to the environment, and
of natural product chemicals, some which can be highly toxic to people and
animals, is useful, because ultimately we can impact the use of substances.

   Control Your Self-Serve Thyroid Account Here
Rules - mailto:[log in to unmask]
NoMail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Mail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Not DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Stop Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Subject: [THYROID] - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Subscribe - http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?SUBED1=thyroid
Unsubscribe - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Thyroid Archives - http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/thyroid.html
Contact List Owners - mailto:[log in to unmask]