THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Skipper Beers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 22:17:02 EDT
This was sent through initially by Greg deGuzman.  I was looking at it and
thinking I've never seen a better description of hypothyrodism.  Today when
our hair falls out they don't have a clue.  Sometimes they say, "I'm not a
hair doctor."  (Disparaging remarks more likely to be made to females.)  They
have no clue when we have sleep apnea and are hypothyroid our meds may need
adjustment upward or to a different prescription.  As a business owner in the
80s I heard about carpal tunnel practically nonstop.  I never heard the word
"thyroid" mentioned in regard to it.

My son's colonoscopy found severe constipation, you would have thought that
combined with the fact dad was hypothyroid would have caused suspicion, along
with his slowed growth and neuropathy that made him blind in one eye for a
year.  Not to mention the hearing test he had before kindergarten when they
didn't believe he could really hear some of those sounds and not others.
(Laurie's APD?)

And they knew the link to depression way back then.  I believe my mother was
getting vallium and librium in the 70s before they had prozac.  Depression to
go with an inhumanely bloated stomach, and the loudest snores you ever heard.
 "Appetite declines" I wish I had read that sentence when I was searching for
my son's problems, that's what I spent most of my time searching for but no
one had answers.  Even on this listserv  people were telling me children
wouldn't starve themselves it was nothing to worry about.  Well, they were
wrong but I didn't think it was a thryoid problem to worry about with a TSH
of 2.2.  I thought it had some value,and I didn't recognize the symptoms.

After saying some nice things recently about doctors, I have to go back to
saying, what morons most doctors are, how do they graduate without having
some degree of observation beyond what the drug companies explain to them?
In a 1940s book you have an incredibly correct description of my family's
problems.  Motor activity probably refers to the nerves and the beginning of
neuropathy.  Which is what my plantar fascitis was, what I believe
costochondritis really is and what may somehow be the real cause of asthma,
all these inflammatory conditions probably have a common problem if they go
away with thyroid treatment.

The "Harrison's Principle of Internal Medicine", 13th edition, Vol. 2,
pp
1940-41, describes the clinical picture of hypothyroidism as follows:

<QUOTE>
In the adult, early symptoms of hypothyroidism are nonsepcific and of
Insidious onset. In the elderly patient, symptoms may be erroneously
attributed
to aging or other disorders such as PARKINSON'S disease, depression, or
Alzheimer's disease .  They may include fatigue, lethargy, constipation, cold
intolerance,
stiffness and cramping of the muscles, the carpal tunnel syndrome, and
menorrhagia.
Over the succeeding months, intellectual and motor activity slows, appetite
declines, and weight increases. The hair becomes dry and tends to fall out,
and the
skin becomes dry. The voice becomes deeper and hoarse, and auditory acuity
may deteriorate. OBSTRUCTIVE SLEEP APNEA may occur. Ultimately, the
clinical picture of florid myxedema appears, with dull expressionless face,
sparse
hair, periorbital puffiness, LARGE TONQUE, and pale cool skin that feels
rough and doughy. <UNQUOTE>

Greg's comments <Quote>
The enlargment of the tonque, heart, the doughy skin, are all related
to the
accumulation of fluid and mucopolysaccharides (glucosaminoglycans), as
a result
of hypothyroidism. This has been proven by countless autopsies since
very very
long time ago and cited by the earliest thyroidologists.
<Unqoute>

A better description of clinical hypothyroism than 99% of today's doctors
could describe.  If we lived in the 1940s we would have been treated right
away.  Wonder if that's because there was a war going on and the government
or large corporations decided they needed heatlhy bodies to send to Europe.

Skipper

 Thyroid messages contain only the opinions of their authors.
 Opinions expressed on Thyroid do not necessarily reflect the
 opinions of the management, publisher, or our advertisers.

  Three addresses for your self-service Thyroid Account
  1 To talk with 500+ people <[log in to unmask]>
  2 To change your account  <[log in to unmask]>
  3 Human help - any active member or <[log in to unmask]>
    Adjust your own account http://www.Emissary.Net/Thyroid
If a question isn't answered on Thyroid, check the Thyroid Archives:
    <http://www.Emissary.Net/thyroid/index.html> and ask again!