THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joan McPhee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Aug 2001 11:07:04 -0600
Ira wrote:
> If anyone could tell me the correct conversion factor or tell me the "Wilson's
> temperatures" in Celsius....many thanks in advance.

Here are a few conversions from the top of "normal" downward:

  degrees C      degrees F
       37.0            98.6       top of "normal"
       36.9            98.4
       36.8            98.2
       36.7            98.0
       36.6            97.9       bottom of "normal"

       36.5            97.7
       36.4            97.5
       36.3            97.3
       36.2            97.2
       36.1            96.9
       36.0            96.8

If you are interested in calculating Celsius to Fahrenheit here's how:

      celsius degrees X 1.8 + 32  =  fahrenheit degrees

Regarding temperature discussion I have collected some interesting tidbits
over time on this list (if you recognize yourself I hope it's OK I've used
your wise words):
~~~~~~~~~
QUOTE
"Just thought I'd respond regarding the electronic vs. mercury thermometers.
My doc is a big believer in monitoring circadian temperature rhythms as part
of hypothyroid treatment.  And he has taught me what things to look for to
indicate improvement or the lack thereof.  So I take my temp every morning
to keep tabs on where my thyroid levels are.  I had both kinds of
thermometers so I used both for a while to see what the differences were.
After about 2 weeks. I determined that it was ok for me to just use my
digital one. The differences, if any, were negligible.  It's difficult
enough to commit to this procedure.  It only encourages slippage if you have
to wake up and "shake down" a thermometer."
END QUOTE
~~~~~~~~~~

QUOTE
"Early morning temperatures are not that valuable, as the body starts
warming up ten to fifteen minutes before you wake up.  Sudden awakenings
will thus likely produce false low temperatures.

"The preferred way, is to take your temperature three, six, and nine hours
after awakening for several days, and average them.

"That said, more interesting information can be gained with hourly readings,
which will show you various droop situations, etc. that may be of interest.
Body temperature will vary during the day, depending on physical and mental
activity, types of foods consumed, etc.  More on that at the urls below.

"Below 98.2, is what Wilson Syndrome aware doctors call Wilson's Syndrome.
Below 95, and one has clinical hypothermia."
END QUOTE
~~~~~~~~~~

QUOTE
"If all readings tend to be low, the average will be low as well. Only when
one averages something that is sometimes higher and sometimes lower, does
one get something that is more accurate.  The skin almost always tends to be
lower, sometimes far lower, than the mouth.  Furthermore, the reading will
vary with the arrangement and insulating property of clothing one is
wearing, and how hard the body is trying to retain heat due to ambient
temperature.

"By using the buccal vein under the tongue as the major heat source,
readings are less subject to problems of changes in circulation related to
thermal conservation.  Less... Wearing a hat, even indoors, can make a
difference.  As can having a full head of long hair, I suspect.

"A good friend of mine, an engineering genius, spent a number of nights with
a thermal sensor stuffed up his rear end and connected to a strip chart
recorder trying to see why he was having trouble sleeping, etc.  He reports
that his body temperature started a several-degree rise about ten minutes
before he woke up, and continued for a while till he disconnected himself
from the rig.  Thus, it would appear that how quickly one comes to
consciousness upon waking would have a major effect upon the temperature
reading one got.  This tends to confirm some of the reports of difficulties
detecting ovulation via body temperature.

"This is why Dr. Wilson uses averaged daytime temperature, taken three
times, starting three hours AFTER awakening.

"In my own case, on a number of days I have taken my temperature orally
every hour or more often starting with when I just awaken, and find that
mine DROPS after I get up out of bed, then rises again, wavering up and
down, sometimes by several degrees, depending upon many things, including
mood."
END QUOTE
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Joan McPhee, not an M.D.
mailto:[log in to unmask]

 Thyroid messages contain only the opinions of their authors.
 Opinions expressed on Thyroid do not necessarily reflect the
 opinions of the management, publisher, or our advertisers.

  Three addresses for your self-service Thyroid Account
  1 To talk with 500+ people <[log in to unmask]>
  2 To change your account  <[log in to unmask]>
  3 Human help - any active member or <[log in to unmask]>
    Adjust your own account http://www.Emissary.Net/Thyroid
If a question isn't answered on Thyroid, check the Thyroid Archives:
    <http://www.Emissary.Net/thyroid/index.html> and ask again!