THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joan McPhee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 13:49:46 -0700
> How much chromium is recommended?  I'm getting a small amount in my multi.

Knew you were going to ask that Susan <grin> and should have included it in
the original post.  Chromium used to be known as glucose tolerance factor,
and it has been claimed that as much as 80% of the population is chromium
deficient.

From "Natural Remedies & Supplements" [AGES Publications, NY, 2000.  Drs.
Ali, Grant, Levy, Nakla, Ko, Pettle, and David Garshowitz, Ehab Mekhail]:
~~~~~~~~~~~
Suggested dosage ranges:  Teenagers, 50 mcg;  adults, 25-200 mcg; and
seniors, 50-200 mcg a day.

Minerals chromium interacts with:  Calcium, manganese, vanadium, zinc.

Nutrients that maximize the amount the body can use:  When bound with
niacin, it is more bioavailable than in the picolinate form (which should
not be taken for long periods of time, unless under medical supervision).

Excellent natural sources: (depending on the soil where grown) black pepper,
brewer's yeast, cheese, clams, corn oil, calves liver, chicken, lean meat,
whole grain cereals, thyme.

Note:  Chelated zinc aids bodies low in chromium, which is a condition
affecting about 9 out of 10 adults.  When combined with vanadium (vanadyl
sulfate) in an appropriate program, under medical supervision, it has been
reported that Type 2 diabetics have been able to reduce their insulin
levels.  When done gradually over a course of 6-12 months, some Type 2
diabetics have been weaned off insulin altogether, or restored their body's
internal glucose tolerance levels to a normal range.  As we age, our bodies
are less able to retain chromium.
~~~~~~~~~~~

JM note:  In light of the potential for chromosomal damage I wouldn't take
the picolinate form.

Solaray has a 200 mcg chromium called ActiChrom in a base of glutamic acid
hydrochloride (25 mg), Glycine (2 mg), L-Cysteine (2 mg) and Niacin (1.33
mg).  Basically this is your niacin-bound form of chromium complex.

NOTE:  I have no vested interest in the above mentioned product.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ciao,
Joan McPhee, not an M.D.
mailto:[log in to unmask]

  If you "Reply" to a message, and fail to erase or delete
  the previous message, *your* message cannot be distributed.

  Three addresses for your self-service Thyroid account
1 Talk to many thyroid people  <[log in to unmask]>
 2 Control your account       <[log in to unmask]>
   3 Human help - any active member or <[log in to unmask]>
Account control <A HREF="http://www.Emissary.Net/Thyroid/">X</A>
Question not answered on Thyriod? Check the Thyroid Archives:
  http://www.Emissary.Net/thyroid/index.html and ask again!