From:
Peter Byrnes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 1998 17:42:52 +1000
Kevin wrote:
> My problem is that when I try to connect my Modem ,I am
> informed that it is in use by another program or user.

Some things to try:
- Is your computer a Compaq Presario? If so, Make
  sure Call Minder is turned off.
- Check for resource conflicts. I have had these
  problems when the modem or COM port is using
  the same IRQ or address as another device. Eg if
  COM 3 is set to IRQ 4 (default), there could be
  problems, because this is the same default as COM1.
- Test the modem directly with HyperTerminal.
  Run HyperTerminal, connect directly to COM 3, type
  at&f <return>. You should get an OK response. If this
  works consistently, there is a problem with the modem
  driver. Try using the Standard 28800 driver instead.

Hope this helps,
Peter Byrnes
Senior Technician
Downs MicroSystems