Date:
Mon, 4 Mar 2002 05:06:37 +0000
Hi, Jeff.

You make no mention of having used a hub or switch in
your hook-up, so I assume that you connected the two
NICs directly with the 50 ft. CAT 5e cable.  In order to
do this, you need a special kind of cable called
a "cross-over" cable.  I would suspect you bought a
regular patch cable, which works fine thru a hub/switch,
but does NOT work wiring the NICs in two PCs together
directly.  You can get patch cables at many computer
supply stores, but I've never heard of one 50 feet in
length that you could buy pre-packaged.  That would be
something that could be made for you at a computer
enthusiast type shop.

As far as tutorials go, I'm not personally familiar with
any, although I'm sure someone else on the list could be
helpful.  You may try a Google search using those as
keywords.  I'd also be the NoSpin
(http://freepctech.com) site would have a lot of good
information in their various archives.

Good Luck!

Steve Sabljak
Space Coast PC Solutions, Inc.
> I'm trying to connect our 2 computers, both using windows XP
> One has a built in Ethernet, I installed a D-link card in the other one
> and connected them with 50' of category 5e cable. They both say
> "a network cable is unplugged" This is my first attempt at this, and
> I don't know anything about it, but I checked the cable with a ohm meter
> and there is continuity through all the wires. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
> Is there a good tutorial out there somewhere?
>
>         The NOSPIN Group provides a monthly newsletter with great
>        tips, information and ideas: NOSPIN-L, The NOSPIN Magazine
>            Visit our web site to signup: http://freepctech.com

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml