From:
Marianne Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Apr 2002 11:36:02 -0400
Robin said:

 i love milk, cheese, pasta,
bread, and peanut butter too much.

if i told my mom that i'm going to, for the most part, quit eating
dairy and grains, she'd probably flip out and launch into a lengthy lecture
about proper nutrition vs. fad diets.

a couple of thoughts: instead of peanut butter, you could eat other nut
butters. macadamia nut butter is delicious and has the second-best omega
6.omega 3 ratio after walnuts. instead of milk you could have coconut milk.
You might see that you don't miss pasta at all - I don't, and I grew up on
it and loved it (Italian). I also don't miss bread. Cheese I do miss, so I
have some grated hard cheese once in awhile. Apparently that is less bad
than soft cheeses.

As for telling your mom, I find that any time I bring up a new possible way
of eating to just about anything, most people attack in some way. Many
people don't like anything shaking up their standard ways of thinking. I've
seen my vegetarian friend have argument after argument after argument with
meat eaters; it gets incredibly boring to hear the same argument every time
I go anywhere with her! So personally I don't go around telling people what
I'm doing unless I know someone is open-minded and might be interested. Why
not just tell your mom "I'm trying to eat more protein and fruits and
vegetables?" That can't possibly sound bad or weird to anyone. I think it's
when you say "I don't eat this or this or this or this" and all of them are
very ingrained parts of your culture's diet, that's when people freak out.
It's not always fun to hear someone telling you that something you love is
bad for you and when you're American it seems like that's all you hear
anyway!