C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Tue, 11 Jun 2002 14:24:02 -0400
I believe and I may be wrong but, in the pilot case, the airline had a
stricter criterion than the FAA.  The pilots needed uncorrected vision of a
certain extent.  They applied it to all applicants.  Can't recall the exact
details of the case.  My brain is still fried from this weekend's Management
and Social Marketing classes.

Beth T. the OT

Subject: Re: Supreme Court Decision Affecting ADA Rights

Getting way off topic...

Lack of depth perception is also a disqualifier, even for private pilots,
unless you can prove you can judge distance with only one eye.  Helps to
know how far above the runway you are when you "flare" to land (when you
land a plane, you bring the nose up just before hitting the tarmac.  It
bleeds off airspeed and allows the rear gear to touch first).

I talked to our ADA liason a little bit ago and she said that there were a
plethora of jobs not protected by ADA if the ill performance of that job may
jeopardize the safety of others (cops, pilots, ship captains, etc.).  She
said that the law was written to protect employers as much as it was to
protect the employed.  In her opinion, the law was way to vague and open to
mis-interpretation of the writers' original intent.  I concur.

-Kyle