From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 07:59:54 -0800
On 11 Nov 2002, at 18:33, Michael A. Wosnick wrote:

> Can you tell me more about the 'Net Use" commands. Syntax, usage etc. Not
> familiar with that one.

  You can get a usage summary by typing, at a command prompt, "NET USE /?".

  Basic syntax is something like:

NET USE Z: \\host\sharename

where Z: is the drive you want to mount the share as, host is the name (or
address, in this case) of the machine which is offering the share, and
sharename is the name of the share.

  There are some additional options for things like password; if you use the
same account name and password on both machines, you shouldn't need them.

  [However, Windows 2000 and XP *can* be configured to not support the older
NTLM password protocol or NetBIOS ports, in which case older versions of
Windows (95/98/NT) will not be able to connect.  If your home machine is
running 2K or XP, this shouldn't be a problem, or if your work machine is
configured more loosely.]

David Gillett

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com