From:
Kevin Nowicki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 19:58:34 EDT
In a message dated 4/19/2002 6:49:30 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< What I would try is going to device manager and removing the DVD player.
On a restart, follow the installation instructions to see if you can get
Windows to do it right this time.

 >I have a strange situation that I thought I'd run by the experts here.  The
 >box is an AMD 900Mhz w/512 Ram 20GB HD running Win98se.  It has a Yamaha 16x
 >cd burner, DVD player, and floppy drive.  In My Computer all drives are
 >listed: A,C,D,E.  However,  when I push the eject button for the DVD player
 >it doesn't respond.  There are no cd's or dvd's in the player.  So I try the
 >eject option for the dvd player (drive D) under properties for that drive
and
 >the cd burner ejects.  But then I go to the cd burner drive (drive E) and
hit
 >eject and the cd burner ejects.  So basically, the eject command for the two
 >drives only activates eject on the cd burner.  Additionally, when I tried to
 >play a dvd (earlier, before I couldn't get it to open) it would freeze up.
 >
 >Do you think the dvd player bit the dust?  How do I know it's that and not
 >just messed up in software somewhere?

Thanks for the info.  However, DVD doesn't show up in device manager, only
the cd burner.  I checked jumper positions on both.  DVD is jumpered for
master and cd burner is jumpered for slave.  DVD is at the end of the cable
and cd burner is at the middle of the cable.  On startup, cdburner light
stays on and computer is sluggish (takes over 4 mins to boot and sometimes
stalls after listing drives).

Does position on the cable matter?

TIA,
Kevin Nowicki