From:
Goran Halfvarson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Apr 2002 01:50:41 +0200
Hi listers,
I'll try to summarise the answers I have received. Thank you.

> What is the best method get different network configurations for different
> LANs, e.g. carrying a portable computer between home LAN and office LAN?

|   These are different terms for the same thing.
Dave, I'm sorry, I made a mistake. What I meant is the following:
In the first LAN the computer has a static, or fixed, IP address.
The other LAN uses DYNAMIC addresses, handed out by a DHCP server.

---------------------------------

Quoting Dave Gillett:
|   SYmantec makes -- or used to -- a product called "Mobile
| Essentials" which included the ability to select amongst various
| network configurations at boot time.

Mobile Essentials appears to be discontinued.
I found links to it within symantec's web site, but I was unable to download
it.

---------------------------------

Quoting Rode:
| The easiest way to handle this is to use the windows utility
| Netswitcher, http://www.netswitcher.com/
| Netswitcher allows you to change all your network settings with a mouse
click."

I downloaded it and it seems to solve my problems!
Price USD 14 with 30 days free trial.

---------------------------------

By searching Google groups I also found 'mnm',
quoting http://www.globesoft.com/mnm_home.html :

"With the MultiNetwork Manager boot time application (BTA), you can select a
configuration already at boot time...
... deals with switching network connectivity settings such as IP address,
Gateway, DHCP, DNS, WINS, Proxy, multiple Domain controllers and Network
clients (Novell and MS)..."

This one too appears to solve my problems.
A main difference is the boot-time configuration selection.
Price USD 36 with 20 days free trial

Finally, a comment; why isn't this functionality included in the OS? Almost
everyone using a portable computer would need it.

Best Regards,
Göran Halfvarson, Sweden