From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Mar 2002 12:00:00 -0800
On 29 Mar 2002, at 19:28, Demetri Kolokotronis wrote:

> I presume Ethernet card installation replicated TCP/IP Properties
> used for Dial Up Networking, as entries are same.

  This might be taken as a starting point, but the configuration of
TCP/IP bound to one interface shouldn't be exactly like that bound to
another, especially of a different type.

> Does "assign ('static') addresses" mean "Specify an IP address" in
> IP Address, TCP/IP Properties for Ethernet card, Network?

  Yes!  "Static" means 'unchanging'; the 'D' in DHCP stands for
Dynamic, which is the opposite.

> Use addresses from ipconfig command?

  No.  IPCONFIG just *reports* the current configuration already in
place, and that's what we want to *fix*.

> What check to see if this enables network?

  If you assign the addresses and netmasks properly (a couple of
people have suggested different workable combinations -- pick one and
ignore the rest), then from machine A you should be able to type at a
command prompt "ping x.x.x.x" where "x.x.x.x" is the address that you
assigned to machine B.  Possible responses are:

1.  Host/network unreachable
  Uh-oh.  Machine A's TCP/IP may be configured incorrectly, or the
addresses you've given A & B don't go together.

2.  Timeout
  Host A is able to send to B's address, but nothing's coming back.
Either B is not configured correctly, or there may be something wrong
with the cabling/hub/switch.

3.  Number of bytes and time in milliseconds
  Host A and B have physical connection, compatible addresses, and
working TCP/IP Ethernet configurations!

  At that point, you'll probably be ready to join the "why don't my
machines see each other in Network Neighborhood" thread, or "How do I
share my Internet connection amongst machines on my LAN"....

David Gillett