From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 2002 16:30:38 -0800
On 29 Mar 2002, at 7:18, joseph marty wrote:

> I tried using that setup from Win Me, but it did not work for my
> system. I think the key here is what another poster suggested,
> that it works depending on the order of bootup.  I could not get
> it to work last night, but this morning on a lucky guess I booted
> up the Win 98SE machine first, then the Win Me machine.  Now
> everyone sees everyone else.  I don't know why, but the Win 98SE
> machine needs to boot first.

> For you network geeks, is that related to the browsemaster setting,
> and if so, how do I change it so the order of bootup would not
> matter?

  Yes, that's exactly it.

  Actually, there are two settings which may be present and work
together:

1.  LM Announce
  Each machine should have this set, so that it will broadcast its
presence to the LAN (broadcasts don't route to the outside) as it
boots up.  The job of the Browse Master includes collecting these
broadcasts, which it can't do if it's not up when the broadcast
happens.

2.  Browse Master
  On a LAN, setting this to "Auto" on all machines *should* work.
Forcing it to "On" on all machines will generate some extra LAN
traffic (not much on a small home LAN), and should ensure that there
is always (see above...) a Browse Master on the LAN if any machine is
running.

  Whether these settings are exposed/settable through the network
configuration may vary from one Windows version to another, and I
haven't done this with ME.  (And my 98SE machine is only turned on
when I need to use one of the devices I own that 2000 Pro doesn't
support.)

Dave Gillett