From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 12:14:46 -0800
On 10 Feb 2002, at 19:23, cfinnigan wrote:

> i have a computer that has suddenly started rebooting itself.
> sometimes during the boot process, sometimes at the Win98se
> desktop. it happens if the computer is touched or the table moved
> slightly.
>
> i tried switching the RAM, pulling a SCSI card that ran an HP4C
> scanner, checking all connections.
>
> what should i try next?
>
> just before it started happening, a student leaned over the tower,
> tilting it at a 45 º angle while trying to reach something behind
> it.
>
> Asus P2B motherboard
> Pentium II 233
> Seagate 4GB hard drive
> Windows 98SE
>
> chuck finnigan

  Does it rattle?

  I'm with Rode in suspecting a short, but more specifically, I'm
expecting a small metal item, such as a screw, either on top of or
possibly underneath the motherboard.  It may be causing intermittent
short of some 3-5v signal, not enough to leave visible physical
damage, but enough to trigger the NMI or otherwise cause a reboot....

Dave Gillett

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml