C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Salkin Kathleen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jun 2002 23:46:33 -0400
Very true.  One of my best able-bodied friends from college, whom I've known
for almost 30 years, is now disabled with rheumatoid arthritis and celiac
disease.  She can only walk short distances now and uses a wheelchair.  She
and I used to do everything together - hike, play volleyball, ride horses,
etc.  Now we're a pair of broken-down bodies.  She alarmed me the last time
I saw her when she talked about how worried she is about her husband and how
she's tying him down. (they were high school sweethearts and have been
married for 25 years).  I told her it's his choice, to stay with her and
they still love each other, and that's rare these days.  If he didn't want
to be "tied down," he wouldn't be with her.

As I've said before on this list, we're heading for a nation of formerly
AB's who will become disabled as they grow older.  It's inevitable.  And I
think that's when the general population will really appreciate the true
value of the ADA and other equal rights legislation like the ADEA.

Kat