C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yvonne Craig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jun 2002 10:10:06 -0400
Actually there should be no long term effects from Botox. It is the same principle for cosmetic purposes as for spasticity. The Botox toxin is injected into the muscle which deadens some of the nerves in the localized area. It is eventually removed from the body and the area grows fresh nerve endings around the dead ones. The effects are temporary (1 to 6 months). The toxin is given in very controlled amounts and because of where it is injected the patient is in no danger of poisoning. Very expensive procedure though. Anthony had it done in April for the second time (hands and arms mostly but some in his adductors to try to cut down on scissoring a bit). About $500 US a vial and we needed 2 vials! Thank fully my insurance covered 100% of the cost! :-)

How are you feeling today, Bobby? I have to have a colonoscopy every 4 years for my Crohn's disease. Not fun... Let us know how it went when you're feeling up to it. I usually sleep when I get home.

Yvonne

>>> [log in to unmask] 06/24/02 10:13AM >>>
<snip>I wonder what the long term side
effects of Botox for cosmetic "touch ups" will be?

Bobby, who is on a liquid diet today in  preparation for a colonoscopy at
6:30 AM tomorrow