C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Stephen Allman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jun 2002 01:04:12 EDT
I understand why some people are upset over the Supreme Court ruling. Some
people believe that company's will twist this ruling that will benefit them
which could mean there will be less people with disabilities hired. However,
I do not believe this ruling is a defeat for people with disabilities.

I work in a local hospital and I know of several employees that are working
in positions that could cause harm to themselves and to patients. There is
one person that has mild CP and she transports patients to their rooms and
other areas where they need to go to. This person pushes stretchers and
wheelchairs and during the past several years the employee has had injuries
due to crashing into walls and elevators. A friend of mine talked to this
employee and suggested she look into doing something else. This woman that
has CP does not want to admit she has a disability and she gets very angry
when someone mentions her disability. I am afraid she will get hurt or hurt a
patient. I mentioned this problem to a nurse and the nurse told me the
hospital cannot do anything because of ADA. This is wrong and what the
hospital could do is offer this woman a job that is less physically demanding

There is another woman in the hospital that worked in the Emergency Room that
had a severe hearing problem. The ER is always busy and this woman was always
in the way which was bad and dangerous for her, her co-workers and the
patients because she could not hear much. This woman was transferred to
another busy Department and the same problems exists. This woman should find
out if her hearing can be improved with a hearing aid or seek a job that will
not put people in danger because of her disability.

I believe most people that have a disability want to be treated with respect
and earn a job that they can do. I believe employers have a right to not hire
someone with a disability if they believe this person cannot do a job and if
they feel the person can injure himself or someone else

I believe most people that have a disability want to be included in society
and not excluded. When people are being discriminated against we should fight
for their rights. Employers should not hire people with disabilities just
because we are disabled. I do not want pity but just an equal opportunity to
work.

Stephen Allman