C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Michael H Collis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jun 2002 14:48:37 -0400
Here is something they don't teach in school...

Sent: Thursday, May 02, 2002 1:48 PM
To: [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]
Subject: STATEMENT OF GOVERNOR MARK R. WARNER

COMMONWEALTH OF VIRGINIA
Office of the Governor

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
May 2, 2002

STATEMENT OF GOVERNOR MARK R. WARNER
--on the 75th anniversary of the Buck v. Bell decision--

    "I am sorry that I am unable to be with you on this important
occasion.

    "In 1924, Virginia, like many states, passed a law permitting
involuntary sterilization.  In 1927, Carrie Buck was the first person
sterilized by the Commonwealth pursuant to that law.  Virginia's actions
were upheld by the Supreme Court of the United States, and the
government ultimately sterilized approximately 8,000 people.

"Last year, the General Assembly passed a resolution expressing profound
regret for the Commonwealth's role in the eugenics movement.  Today, I
offer the Commonwealth's sincere apology for Virginia's participation in
eugenics.  As I have previously noted, the eugenics movement was a
shameful effort in which state government never should have been
involved.

"We must remember the Commonwealth's past mistakes in order to prevent
them from recurring.  This highway marker will serve as a constant
reminder of how our government failed its citizens and how we must
always strive to do better."

(The above statement is to be read by Del. Mitch Van Yahres at the
ceremony dedicating a highway marker commemorating the Buck v. Bell
decision, at 11am Thursday, May 2nd at the Region Ten Community Services
Board office in Charlottesville.  The highway marker's wording was
authorized by the Virginia Board of Historic Resources.)
###

NOTE:  This state apology would have never come into play if it wasn't
for the tireless efforts of Phil Theisen of the LDDA in Lynchburg, VA
for informing the right people to get things done.  DAC congratulates
Phil & Linda Theisen for all of their help in keeping DAC informed to
get Governor Warner to make this apology to ALL surviving eugenics
victims thus once again putting Virginia in the forefront of admitting
to this terrible wrong and keeping his promise to DAC and his
constituents.  We also thank Del. Mitch Van Yahres who got the ball
rolling last year that finally resulted in this state apology and those
representatives that supported this movement.   Well done:)

Keith Kessler - Founder of DAC (disabled Action committee)
14405 Artery Ln#11
Dale City, VA 22193
703-878-1737
Email:  [log in to unmask]

http://members.aol.com/DAC4VA/main.htm  <--for links etc.
DAC
http://members.aol.com/DAC4VA/index.html  <--Mission Statement

**Some people grin and bear it.  Others smile and change it.**