C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deri James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jun 2002 21:12:17 +0100
On Monday 03 Jun 2002 6:48 pm, Trisha Cummings wrote:
> Hi Ken,
>
>    Well, I can'tgive Amber the family car - as it's a standard
> tranmission - which she could never drive as a right hemi. That a
> great thing to do if you can give the family car - then you know
> the history and have taken care of it. Besides she will need some
> adapting to the car and I think VW has a plan to help with that.
>
>                                             Trisha

My wife, Lin, is a right hemi. The adaptions she needs are automatic
transmission (not "standard" in the UK), knob on the wheel, and
fingertip infrared controls for lights, indicators, horn, wipers,
etc. (so that she doesn't have to let go of the wheel.)

The government provide the automatic car (rolling 3 yr lease - so new
car ever 3 years - see http://www.motability.co.uk), but we have to
pay for the adaptions - about £1,300.

Amber may need the same sort of adaptions.

Cheers

Deri