C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 20 Apr 2002 06:25:26 -0700
--- "Elizabeth H. Thiers" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hey, thanks Bobby.  I'm forwarding this on to OT's.
> The problem's we
> encounter usually are that parents want their
> children to walk and talk and
> then realize that there is more to it.  I do a lot
> of educating on getting
> those little ones independent, with what ever mode
> of communication or
> transportation possible.  Many of the little ones
> work so hard walking they
> don't have energy for the important learning.

Beth,
This is the question every CP parent asks. How much is
too much and how much is not enough. At what point do
you accept the wc exclusively and when do you push the
walker. Alex is moderate spastic quad. He uses a
Rifton pacer gait trainer and the swash brace. He
needs constant verbal prompts to move in it and of
course it gets tiring. Right now I've stopped forcing
the walking issue( he just turned 7) and have him
riding his trike without his AFO's on. I figured if he
was able to build up his leg muscles his walking would
get easier. He rarely needs verbal prompts to move on
his bike outside of the usual stops for the usual
kiddy exploration of the world pit stops. He has
managed to do quite well on the  bike with little
effort so I know with motivation he can move
independantly. So again the question is how much do
you push and how do you push without making the  kid
feel a failure if walking isn't in the cards.
Joanne