C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deri James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Mar 2002 22:58:26 +0000
On Monday 04 Mar 2002 4:12 pm, Bobby G. Greer, Ph. D. wrote:
> In a message dated 3/4/02 7:42:50 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:
> >Think about it... Would the Ibot cause the ADA to become redundant
> > in the eyes of John Q. Public? The tabbies?
>
> Mike, I hate to disagree, but this is a stretch. The ADA has 5
> titles and only one addresses architectural barriers. I don't care
> what John Q. Public thinks. I *do* care what  appeals court judges
> and congress cares. They are the ones watering down the ADA.
>
> Bobby

Rather strange logic in Mike's argument (sorry Mike!), seems to be
IBOT is Ok in Europe (where there is no ADA - but each country has
its own provisions to a greater or lesser extent) but should not be
welcomed in the USA because it may weaken ADA.

My view is that it is never going to happen (in any country) that
everywhere will be accessible to all disabilities, and, in fact,
there are conservation arguments against making areas of outstanding
natural beauty too accessible to anyone. Of course we should all be
advocating for accessibility to public buildings, and new buildings,
but I don't see the advantage of denying a tool which opens up new
options for the disabled, simply on political grounds.

Probably less than 2 cents worth!!!

Cheers

Deri