C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Stephen Allman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2002 17:15:58 EST
In a message dated 2/7/2002 2:03:53 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> It is the County that says that I can't be left
> alone.  I can go for walks alone in my electric
> wheelchair on our own property.  We have a blind
> spot going out and in our driveway.
>
> Kathy Jo

Kathy Jo:

Why would the County have any say on your freedom of movement? It's possble
someone may have suggested to you or your parents that because of your
disability and your other problems that you cannot be left alone. I believe
it may help you to do some things on your own and your confidence will grow.
Do you talk to your parents about what you want out of life? Do your parents
respect you as an adult? You may need someone that your parents respect that
can talk to them about your dreams and goals in life.

Kathy Jo, you may be disabled but you can offer the world a lot if given the
opportunity. Nobody should ever hold anyone back and if the County said that
they are wrong.

Stephen Allman