C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 26 Jan 2002 23:13:16 -0500
How can people with Cerebral Palsy , that can't
walk , talk , take themselves to bathroom , etc
live alone?

Kathy Jo,

Don't give up on yourself.  I can't walk or take myself to the bathroom, but
I manage to live about 90% independently.  I have people who come in for
about an hour morning and night, and help me do what I can't (dressing,
showering, chair to bed transfer, bathroom, and other miscellaneous stuff
that might come up).  There are always creative solutions.  Set goals for
yourself.  What do you rely on people for that bothers you the most?  Take
it one step at a time (no pun intended).  Pick one thing to work on, and
keep trying until you get it.  I've really surprised myself, and I think you
will too.  Don't listen to the low expectations that others might have for
you.

~Joy~