C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 16:41:18 EST
In a message dated 1/21/2002 9:48:24 PM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> Of course Betty sent it in. and I want to know how he responds too!
>
> mag

This is a paranoid city.  Newly degreed transients blow into this town with
their "here I am to show you something you've never seen before" attitudes,
staying only long enough to advance their careers.  They live in a world
where the food chain refers to their workplace organizational chart, and they
bring that mentality home at night, and into the community.  It has pervaded
my hometown.  It looms over the city of your first president like a black
cloud.

Find the native Alexandrian who disagrees with me.

First, he'll have me investigated.  He'll substantiate that my Dad was all
this that I say he was, just because that's the simplist way to substantiate
anything I wrote.  I'm okay with that.  He's my Mayor and it's okay with me
if he wants to do a little investigating.  I've lived around here most all my
life, and I'm telling you that no one can ever be too careful here, certainly
not someone in a position such as his.

Actually, it's my understand that he is okay in local disability circles, so
I don't think we're going to have much, if any conflict.  The presentation I
referred to has nothing to do with "you must change this!  You must modify
this!"  That is not what this is going to be about at all.

I predict that his first inclination will be to try to get me under the
"wing" of the Chairperson of the Alexandria Commission for Persons with
Disabilities.  If I were him, and didn't know anything about me, that's what
I would do.  We're a bit of a nervous city right now, and that's on top of
any mayor's full plate.  He is going to want to avoid a potential situation
where I'm a loose cannon in the city, and/or bugging him all the time.  The
best way to ensure that, will be to try to do as I predict.

Activists who work off the more extreme edges of their anger have left a bad
taste in the mouths of many.   That's part of what I want to counteract,
quite frankly.

People need to be treated with kindness right now.  I'm not planning anything
that will add more psychological damage than has already been inflicted.
There are a lot of people walking around who need critical incident stress
counseling but are not getting it.  I'm targeting Alexandria small business,
and if a large percentage of people falling into that catagory may be found
anywhere in the workplace, small business is as likely a place as any I can
think of.

Anyway, the first thing he's going to do is have me investigated.  My ears
have been burning all day ;-)

Betty