BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Donald B. White" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
If it ain't a pleasure ... it ain't a poem.
Date:
Sun, 28 Apr 2002 00:30:22 -0400
Message text written by "can't australian computers read?"
>we found the grave of one Aaron Cohen, and inside the church we noted a
stained glass window, with a kneeling
Jesus no less, donated by the Norman Cohen family.

It would appear that Aaron came from Germany in the 1850's and married a
local female person of the Baptist persuasion, and since there weren't no
other local Hebrews to worship with (much less marry) one would assume he
jumped the fence... <

and re Fogleman...

When my half-Italian grandmother Rita (born 1900) visited Italy in her
teens, she found that everyone with her last name (Peruzzi) was Jewish, a
heritage her father Mario (co-founder and half owner of Planters Peanuts)
had never acknowledged--although the family were the only Italian
Presbyterians I ever heard of, and he married Mary Anne McCartney, the
daughter of a Methodist minister from Scotland. Family theory is that his
branch found it expedient to convert at some time in the past. Certainly
the attitude in our family seemed to be that having a religion is good for
you, but which one you had didn't much matter, although there seems to have
been some feeling it was better if it were not Catholic. But I take some
pride in the likelihood of some Jewish ancestry.

DW