AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Schmetzke, Axel" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
EASI's Library Accessibility Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Oct 2003 12:39:56 -0500
Hi Rodney,

I am in the process of preparing for yet another conference presentation
on the accessibility of library resources. In your last message (Nov.
2003), you referred to a "news report" that was supposed to have come
out in January. When searching your web site, I stumbled upon a press
release issued last June, according to which your company's electronic
reserve product (ERes) product is now compliant "with the Americans for
Disabilities Act (ADA Section 508) allowing assistive technologies
(screen readers) to access materials easily." This is very good news.
Would you please provide me with more details by responding to the
following questions:

1. Are both ERes and VRLplus, your virtual reference system, in full
conformance with pertinent Access Board/Section 508 standards?

2. How were your products tested for accessibility? If a tool such as
Bobby was used, did the testing rely exclusively on that tool's
automated checking function, or did it include also manual checking for
those features that could not be automatically tested?

3. To which extent did the usability testing of your products involve
people who access computers with the help of assistive technology? Which
specific screen readers were used to test the accessibility/usability of
your product?

4. In which way will the changes envisioned for the next version of your
products further improve its accessibility and usability for users of
assistive technology?

5. If any of your products currently lacks full compliance with Section
508, what is your company's plan for seeking such compliance? By when
can full compliance be expected?

6. Docutek's web site continues to contain many access barriers. For
example, a person using screen reading software to learn about your
company (at http://www.docutek.com/company/index.html)
would be "greeted" as follows:

[INLINE]
   [INLINE] [LINK] [LINK] [LINK] [LINK] [LINK] [LINK] [LINK] [LINK]
[LINK]
   [INLINE]
   [INLINE] [INLINE] [INLINE] [INLINE] [INLINE] [INLINE] [INLINE]
   [INLINE]
   [INLINE] [INLINE] [INLINE]
   [INLINE]
   Docutek's Vision

Are there plans to make your company's web site fully accessible? When
do you expect its accessibility to be accomplished?

7. More and more providers of online library resources describe in much
detail the accessibility of their products. Links to examples can be
found on my Web Accessibility Survey site at
http://library.uwsp.edu/aschmetz/Accessible/websurveys.htm under the
rubric of Accessibility of Online Library Catalogs, Indexes and
Databases, and Other Library Resources--Vendor-Provided Information. Do
you have a web page that provides information about the accessibility of
your products to interested parties (both end users and librarians)? If
so, what is the URL?

Since conformance with Section 508 has become official policy in many
states, and since an increasing number of colleges and universities are
adopting similar mandates for web accessibility, my inquiry, and your
response to it, is of wider interest. I therefore post this inquiry,
along with your response to it, on AXSLIB, an online discussion forum
comprising some 400 librarians interested in library-related
accessibility issues.

I look forward to your response,

Axel

Axel Schmetzke, Ph.D.