AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Valerie Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 10:37:54 -0500
Hello Lindsay,

You have a couple of options in this regard.  You can accomplish your goal
very inexpensively with self adhesive key cap covers that are available
through a variety of mail order companies.  These key cap covers are sticky
on the back and can be attached to any standard keyboard.  You can purchase
than with a white background and black lettering or a black background and
white lettering.  These seem to work very well for many people with low
vision.

You can also purchase a large print keyboard.  They tend to be very costly
and some of them do not have the standard keyboard layout.  I have found
that this can be confusing to people who are use to using a computer
keyboard.  It can also be confusing to beginners, because it looks
"different" than other keyboards.

I am the Administrator of Outreach Services and a library system in New
York.  I have been providing assistive technology demonstrations for about 9
years and I am legally blind.  I have seen the inexpensive method work
rather well.

The catalogs to check out are available from:

LS&S GROUP (800) 468-4789

ILA (INDEPENDENT LIVING AIDS) (800) 537-2118

You can call and request a catalog or they can probably give you info over
the phone.

One of the large print keyboard companies that I am familiar with is:

DATA CAL (KEYBOARD ENHANCEMENTS)
(800) 453-7937

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Valerie Lewis
Administrator of Outreach Services
Long Island Talking Book Library
Suffolk Cooperative Library System