AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Munoz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Wed, 6 Jan 1999 14:43:26 -0600
The City of Madison Fire Department is currently recruiting firefighters.   Attached is information about the Department and the firefighter position.   For further information and application materials, please contact the  Human Resources Department, Room 501, City-County Building, or the City of  Madison Internet Site at http://www.ci.madison.wi.us/jobs.html for all  application materials.

Your help in distributing this announcement is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.  pm

Is Firefighting for You?
A Day in the Life of a Madison Firefighter . . .

    Your 24 hour shift begins at 7:00 a.m. After you report for duty, you will be assigned to a particular job on an apparatus for the day. Crews discuss the day's tasks to complete and various maintenance checks are made. Every day the apparatus and the equipment carried is checked to make sure it is functioning properly. Also, mornings are when station clean-up and housekeeping duties take place. Some mornings may have additional duties like station drills, tours, or community education events such as teaching fire safety to children using the Fire Safety House.
    In the afternoon, you and your company may be assigned preventive fire inspections or other duties. Often, firefighters use the afternoon to enhance their readiness with ongoing training or self-study. Emergency calls are our department's priority and will take precedence over all other activities.
    In the evening station time is less structured with personal time available for working out or additional study. Firefighters live at the station for 24 hours and are allowed to sleep at night if not called out for emergencies.

Qualities Desirable in a Firefighter:

*motivation to serve *effective communication skills *physical, mental, emotional health *ability to exercise sound judgment *strong sense of responsibility *compassion (even when stressed) *ability to work as team member *tolerance *integrity *problem-solving skills *desire to work hard *sense of humor

A Few Words from the Chief

    Our mission is simple: public safety. It is a tribute to everyone in the department that day-in and day-out we meet that challenge and that we doso under conditions that can be difficult and dangerous.
    Continuing to meet that challenge will take a commitment from all of us in the department to never rest on our laurels and to be willing to do what is often the hardest thing of all: change.
    We must be diligent in working to bring new knowledge and competencies to
bear on old problems. *We must focus not only on where the problems are, but on where the solutions can be found. *We must encourage teamwork and instill discipline. *We must learn to respect, understand and trust one another in order to do our jobs better, to protect the public better and to make this department better. *Every firefighter and paramedic must have confidence in the men and women working beside him or her.
    As an organization, we must give the people in the field the tools and the support they need to work together comfortably and effectively.

What You Should Know about the Madison Fire Department

    The 290 men and women that make up the Madison Fire Department come from
all parts of the United States. We vary in culture as well as educational background. Some of our people stem from generations of fire personnel and some had no experience until becoming a member of our department. The department strives to reflect the diversity of our City in its employees.

    The Fire Department provides additional special services to the community. These services include response to hazardous materials incidents, Lake and Rope Rescue, and Advanced Life Support (paramedic). These services offer an opportunity to receive training in these areas.

    As a newly hired City of Madison firefighter, you start at the Recruit Academy. The Academy Program is very intensive training. You use both mental and physical skills in preparing for this exciting and demanding career. The class curriculum covers instruction in areas such as fire suppression, inspection, community education and emergency medical technician. The program for emergency medical technician covers 120 hours. You serve an 18 month probation and a 31/2 year apprenticeship. As a Madison Fire Department Firefighter, you may seek to serve in additional career positions in the areas of fire suppression, Fire Investigation, Training and Administration. Some of these positions are: Firefighter/Paramedic, Apparatus Engineer, Investigator, and Officer in Investigation, Training and Administration.

Madison: A Great Place To Be

    The City of Madison is a culturally diverse community made up of approximately 200,000 people. The size of the city is about 64 square miles and is situated between many lakes. It is the home to our State Capitol which can be seen from miles around as it stands prominently above the Isthmus separating lakes Mendota and Monona. The quality of life in Madison has been consistently ranked high by several national publications.

City of Madison Fire Department Statement of Purpose

    We are an innovative, nationally recognized fire department providing a quality service to the city of Madison and surrounding areas.
    We are proud of the strength and diversity of our workforce and emphasize continuous service improvement, focusing on the preservation of life, continuous service improvement, focusing on the preservation of life, property and the environment.
    We recognize the value of our employees. Using participatory management, their input is solicited to improve department decisions.
    We value compassion, honesty, integrity, teamwork and inner strength. These values are in balance with the traditional focus of physical strength and courage.
    The Madison Fire Department is prepared to handle all emergencies, including major disasters, that may occur in our community

Firefighter Prerequisites

    In order to be considered for employment on the Madison Fire Department, you must:  *be a United States citizen; *be at least 18 years of age at time of appointment; *be a high school graduate or possess a high school equivalency diploma; *possess a current driver=27s license; *must be of sound mental and physical health; *complete a rigorous academic and physical training program; *have far visual acuity at least 20/30 binocular corrected with contact lenses or glasses. Far visual acuity uncorrected shall be at least 20/100 binocular for wearers of hard contacts or glasses. Successful long-term soft contact lens wearers shall not be subject to the uncorrected criterion; and *have normal color vision.