AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Munoz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Mon, 8 Apr 2002 14:34:00 -0500
From: Ed Rico "ejrico" <[log in to unmask]> 04/08/02 12:03PM >>>

 I recently heard that the Madison Common Council is going to consider
an
Ordinance amendment, banning Section 8 housing discrimination, on
Tuesday
night, April 9th.  The Amendment is to
Section 3.23(4)(a) of the Madison General Ordinances to prohibit
discrimination based on status as recipient of rental assistance

 There are rental agents who currently refuse to rent to poor people,
solely
on the basis of their need to use Section 8 housing vouchers.  This
has
created a system of economic apartheid in Madison.  In the long run
this
policy, of creating ghettos of poverty, creates problems the entire
community has to pay for.

 Many honest, hard working parents, who want nothing more than to
provide
decent housing for their children, are being denied this opportunity by
group of sinister rental agents.  This policy is unconscionable,
immoral,
discriminatory and needs to stop.

 Minnesota, a State I once lived in has a statewide ban on this type
of
economic discrimination (rental agents can't refuse to rent to people
simply
because they use Section 8 vouchers). I find it bizarre, the characters
in
the movie "Fargo" are more progressive than politically chic Madison.

Please help support everyone's right to find decent housing in
Madison by calling your alderperson at 266-4071 or e-mailing them at
the
council office, [log in to unmask] and voicing  your support for
the
ordinance Amendment.

Edward Rico