Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Michael T Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Feb 2002 23:01:45 -0500
Hi Jerry,

   Due to its unified L1 cache and "Pentium like" core, the Cyrix CPU used on the Gainbery upgrade was short lived...

   Cyrix never intended for this CPU to be used as an upgrade. The unified cache not only gave even the latest (at the time) BIOS fits, but alot of chipsets used on 486 MBs just couldn't support it. Some MBs wouldn't work with it no matter what you did to them...

   The root of the problem seems to come from the write-back cache the processor core was setup to use. Write-through cache-ing was not a true option. So a MB that supported write-back cache and whos BIOS/chipset could utilize unified L1 cache (not that many) were the only ones that really worked!

   Some time later PowerLeap came out with a virtual write-back driver as part of its Control Panel for its PL-586 Upgrade. I've often wondered if it would work with this CPU.

   http://www.powerleap.com/Products/ccp.htm

   Hope this helps...
   Max

--