C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Yvonne Craig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 12:26:38 -0500
Some of the SSRI anti-depressants like Prozac and Paxil can also cause dystonic symptoms. TD CAN occur with some anti-histamines as well. In a susceptible individual, the TD can be triggered with just a few doses. Others can take drugs like Haldol, which IS a major contributor for years without any problem. Interestingly enough, Haldol can be used to mask the symptoms of TD so that the underlying problem remains but the patient has relief from some of the movements. Some recent studies have shown that large doses of Vitamin E may be beneficial in treating TD in some patients. One of the psychiatrists here treats some of his patients with severe TD-related spasming with Botox to the affected muscle groups.

FWIW, I don't think Jenn has TD. More likely it is a different form of dystonia. TD is a neurological problem CAUSED by medications. Good website, though, Joanne. Thanks.

Wish I had some answers, Jenn. Keep searching until you find someone with the answers YOU feel are right! You might consider  exploring some more of the non-medical approaches. Maybe some of the things Carla has suggested. One thing I have learned over the years, as a nurse, as a patient, and as a parent is that the medical community DOES NOT have all the answers (though most like to think they do...). Although it is usually my first approach, I have learned to go with my gut when I have wanted to try something different. Everything has it's place. Traditional western medicine is only a small piece of the pie in respect to viable treatment options. We would never have tried HBO for Anthony if I went strictly with the medical model. But Botox has worked as well. Even if you want to keep pursuing the pump, you might look into some alternatives in the interim. If nothing else it may help you MANAGE your pain until you are able to treat the underlying cause, whatever that might be. I am thinking about massage, meditation of some sort, aroma therapy (don't laugh... it works for some), etc.

I am keeping you in my thoughts. {{{hugs}}} Let me know when you feel up to meeting for a coffee again. We just finished doing a fundraiser for Anthony so I might have some ideas for you if you decide to go that route.

Yvonne

In a message dated 3/18/02 12:26:45 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:

> Bobby, I think this is up your ally
>isn't it.
>Here is a sight to check out and has a list  of common
>drugs that can bring TD on( list 1). I really hope
>your answer comes soon.

The only drugs with which I am familiar with which result in Tardive
Dyskinesia (a Parkinsonian type tremor and protruding tongue) are the major
anti-psychotic drugs,
particularly Haldol and Navane.

Bobby