From:
Elizabeth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Elizabeth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 20:48:39 -0500

I take Lecithin the week before the PMS starts and Kelp. I also take
an extended release vit B complex if my joints start to swell or ache
and it releaves the symptoms completely.  (The regular Vit B was of
little help.)
-
check out http://thyroid.about.com/library/weekly/aa040700a.htm  The
symptoms you describe are some classic hypothryoid symptoms, and the
above article is about the connection with celiac.  Also see a good
gyn who is willing to treat pms, there are many options out there
right now.  For me it's all controlled with synthroid, ortho-cyclen,
and wellbutrin sr.  Before the hormone issues were treated I was on
very high doses of all kinds of psych meds with no results other than
the drain on my checkbook.
-
  I do hear, however, that ginger is supposed to help a great deal.
Celestial Seasonings makes a great GF Ginger tea.
-
I was treated for depression with psychotherapy, group therapy, and
medications. In my 20s and 30s, I took a few different drugs (don't
remember which) before sticking with Elavil, which helped a lot. In
my 50s, after a hysterectomy, I was given Wellbutrin, which I
tolerated well; it helped some, and is (or was) GF, but am no longer
on it.

Some healing of my gut has taken place, as my symptoms are much
better. My depression, arthritis, and several other problems have
been greatly relieved although not eliminated. So if you are recently
on the diet, be patient. You may feel better after more healing.

I can't say it helped my PMS, which was AWFUL, because my GF diet
happened the same year I had my hysterectomy! So I will never know
for sure how much being GF would have helped, but I know what you're
talking about.
-
Milk, soy and especially beef also cause me to get angry.  You might
try to eliminate more foods and see what happens.  The first month I
quit eating all allergenic foods I didn't even know I was going to
have a period, it went so smoothly, and I had been having horrible
times just like you describe.
-
As far as an alternative to the prescription antidepressants, I have
been taking 5-HTP with good results.  I haven't been as snappy, mean,
or emotional.  It is actually an amino acid.  Some people are lower
in it than others.  I have heard conflicting reports on it, but I
haven't had any trouble with it.  My gynecologist wanted to put me on
Prozac, but I vehemently told him I didn't want to be on a
prescription antidepressant.
-
Elizabeth, the Prozacs and derivatives help only for "endogenic"
depression, and most docs don't know enough to know this so they just
shotgun everyone with it whether they're endo or not. Endogenic is
when your blood chemistry is naturally slanted that way. Celaics are
often depressed because the situation they're in healthwise is so
crappy. The situation causes it -- exogenic. Celiacs tend to feel bad
and don't feel like being very active so serotonin pools in the
intestines. The way to help this is to exercise, walking is good, but
especially weight lifting.
-
  I am going to do a "liver cleanse."  I have talked with others who
say this helps even out the emotions.  I am a nurse, and I know all
this is not recognized in western medicine.  But, I am on a mission!
I AM going to feel better!  I am going to do whatever seems
reasonable to me!
I will be interested to read the summary to see what other women
experience, especially women our age.  This is a tough age, I think,
as our hormones are changing.  Then, to realize we've been ingesting
a substance which is toxic to us makes it more challenging to figure
out what is what.
-
Have you been checked for other causes of your depression and
moodiness?  Being untreated for so many years could certainly have
caused other malabsorbtion problems.  I have Pernicious anemia along
with the Celiac and I have been receiving vitamin B12 injections for
nearly 20 years and, even yet , if I do not get the injection when
needed I can become irritable and short fused. I can not say that I
am really depressed although I have three autoimmune diseases which
have depression as a symptom.
-
I eat alot of dairy, i dont know if that helps, they say it does.
-
You are not going to believe this but here's my secret:  I have
started taking full time birth control pills--this means every day,
no week-long break.
-
  It's much better now that I'm GF & dairy free.  I have found through
the years that aside from good diet, avoiding caffiene & sugar, etc.
that nutritional support from supplements is the most effective tool
I have in reducing my symptoms.  The specific supplements that have
been the most helpful for me are calcium, iron, B-12 injections, etc.
-
I found that chinese herbal tinctures, or even capsules, made a huge
difference for me.  Specifically I took a tincture which had Dong
Quai & astragulus as the main ingredients.  They help stabilize your
hormones and tonify your utureus.