From:
Nora Jamieson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nora Jamieson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Aug 2002 10:39:36 -0400

I want to say thank you for all the responses I got.  There were lots!  I
contacted a few
people personally.  First, my status.  I found I was getting soy (in
addition to intentionally
eating chocolate) in my Advil Ibuprophen...which I take periodically even
when I'm absolutely
soy and gluten free (perhaps this is why things don't ever quite clear up).

I went on a elmination diet for over a week, just rice and white chicken,
then added
fiber ~ no soy, no coffee, nothing irritating.  Now things are calming down
quite a bit.  I've ordered "Why Stomach Acid is Good For You".  I was
diagnosed with low stomach acid twenty
years ago and had forgotten about that.

Here's is the summary...

Alternative diagnoses suggestions:  colitis, lactose intolerance, caseine
intolerance, diverticulitis, candida, low stomach acid, pancreas problems
(in celiacs),parasites (I was tested for these),chron's disease

Suspect allergies:  corn, soy, milk products,grain vinegars

Treatments:  Elimination diet, Breaking Viscious Cycle (book and diet), NO
SOY, NO GLUTEN,
probiotics, NO CORN, keep a food diary and tract symptoms, add fiber to
diet.

People's response:  Many, many are intolerant to soy.  One person discovered
after being tested that she had delayed allergic reactions to soy and I
think corn.  This interested me in
that my reactions can be quite delayed.  I got a real education about soy
and how it's processed in this country.  Not good.  There is a NO SOY web
site you can check out.

Many had symptoms no matter what, one woman reacted when the fields were
plowed in
the spring.  This interested me in that my symptoms seem cyclical too.
Perhaps intolerances change with the seasons.

Many others were also discouraged but still trying to figure it all out.

Some said when you are totally gluten free for a long time, allergies go
away.

A couple people wrote that they had dual diagnoses of fibromyalgia and
celiac (I was diagnosed FM ten years ago but I think it was the first celiac
symptoms).

A Massage therapist wrote that there are trigger points in certain muscle
groups and releasing them may stop the symptoms.  This reminded me that, as
she said, symptoms can be self perpetuating ~ kind of take on a life of
their own ~ which could be connected also the
central nervous system.  In a couple of weeks, I'm going to have my
bodyworker work in that area after things are quieter.

Almost all posts were supportive, full of information and kindred
experience.  I'll keep you
posted.  Hope this summary is inclusive and helps.

Nora