From:
Margaret Goolic <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 23 Jun 2002 21:03:46 EDT

Thanks to all who responded and for your best wishes.  A quick recap about
what I wrote: I told the hospital staff (and my doctors) during pre testing 5
days PRIOR to being admitted for surgery that I have Celiac and that I must
have a gluten free diet.  It was clearly written down on my hospital chart.
I was in the hospital for surgery June 12, 13, 14 and was taken off a clear
liquid diet early morning of June 14.  I met the dietitian that morning and
AGAIN before each meal.  I met with the dietitian 3 times in one day!  I told
her I need to have gluten free meals.  (She even gave me a hospital printout
out the gluten free diet and what foods to avoid.)  The breakfast I was given
was cereal with malt listed as an ingredient, lunch included breadsticks made
from wheat and barley flour, and dinner was a chicken pot pie, dinner roll
and chocolate chip cookies all made from wheat.
-I received 26 responses (including stories, comments and suggestions):
-15 people responded that they had similar bad experiences in the hospital.
Many of these respondents said "you told my story exactly!"  By the way, this
is going on in many major cities.
-3 people responded that they actually left the hospital sooner than expected
because they couldn't take the constant gluten mistakes made by the hospital.
 Also, 1 of these people fought the hospital bill and got it reduced!
-1 person responded that they were given so many gluten mistakes that they
lost 5 pounds in 4 days while in the hospital.  They refused to eat anything
with wheat in it.
-1 person responded that they ate only 3 salads in 4 days while in the
hospital because of the many constant gluten mistakes.
-3 people responded that while in the hospital they were given medicine
containing gluten.  One of these people even supplied the hospital pharmacist
with a Stokes guide, to no avail.
-1 person responded that while in the hospital, after many gluten mistakes,
it was explained that most of the kitchen help doesn't speak English, and the
dietitians don't look at every tray leaving the line.
-2 people responded that the hospital staff said they were an "uncooperative
patient" and "caused a lot of trouble" for needing a gluten free diet and
refusing to eat anything but a gluten fee meal.
-Only 1 person responded that she was in the hospital for 25 days and got
gluten free meals with no problem.
Suggestions received:
-"Have someone from home or from a support group bring you gluten free meals
while in the hospital, and heat it up in the microwave near the nurse's
area."
-"Pack your suitcase with gluten free foods and bring it with you to the
hospital."
-"Have a patient care team lined up to be with you 24/7 (as a "sitter") while
in the hospital to ensure that your care is safe."
-"Contact the AMA and nutrition board and let them know about the mistakes
that were made."
-"Contact the media to help bring our plight out into the open and bring the
seriousness of celiac to the attention of the medical profession."
-"Support groups around the country need to have a class to teach the
dietitians what gluten free means and the things people have to avoid."
-"Continue complaining to the hospital, going as far up the administrative
ladder as you can.  What if they make the same type of mistake with somebody
who has a peanut allergy that can kill them?"
-And, finally, my suggestion again to anyone entering the hospital is to
continually check what they are giving you!