From:
Janet Wager <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janet Wager <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 May 2002 11:58:55 -0500

Hi, I've just been diagnosed with Rheumatoid arthritis, in addition to
having Type 1 Diabetes and, of course, celiac disease.  I have been
researching any link to either Diabetes or CD and Rheumatoid, but have
found none.

1.  Any experiences of list members in coping with this stuff would be
appreciated!

2.  Does anyone know if Rheumatoid is related to either diabetes or celiac?

3.  I called the manufacturers on some drugs used to treat the disease.
Arava is gf, but Plaquenil cannot be guaranteed gf (Sanofi-Synthelabo
Pharmaceuticals, 1-800-446-6267).  It does show on a medication web site
(http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Spa/2679/gluten.html) as being gf, so
thought I would pass on the information.

Here is what I got back from Aventis about Arava:

Dear Ms. Wager,

Thank you for contacting Aventis Pharmaceuticals.

ARAVA tablets do not contain gluten from wheat, barley, rye, oats, or spelt
grains.

We encourage you to discuss this issue with your physician or health care
provider if you have any further concerns to determine whether ARAVA is
right for your medical condition.

Please visit our websites for more information on ARAVA.  You may also call
us if you have any further questions, at:
(800) 633-1610, 8am-4:30pm M-F, EST

Thank you.

Aventis Pharmaceuticals
Medical Information