From:
Linda Ostrow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 23 Mar 2002 20:48:04 EST

Here are some more suggestions for "quick" lunches:

*  I love the Amy's enchiladas,  but face it they're not huge, and not too
cheap for a mid-afternoon snack. I'm so with you here,  dinner everynight
just does not work out well.  My main  eats during the day include: nuts -
almonds esp. very filling.  i have to hold back,  i've also gained a little
weight lately. yogurt - everyday - midmourning.  Yoplait -but it has more
sugar,  so if i get to the Wild Oats I try and buy Brown Cow non-fat vanilla
is my fav.  Horizon is okay too but they have lots of extra 'stuff' in it.
pudding-i mix up a box a few nights a week,  takes 5 min.  put in small
tupperwares and it makes a good cheap afternoon snack that's more filling.
Fantastic Foods Potato cups - I know the sourcream and chives one is GF for
sure (i'm in a rut and that's what I always buy).  these are super filling.
They also have a brocoli ceddar soup cup that's GF. If I'm desperate with
nothing else in the house, i take a potatoe and throw it in the microwave
until it feels done. not quite as good as a oven baked potatoe but
comperable,  and filling:)
And mid-morning if i'm starving,  i keep around Van's frozen waffles - the GF
ones,  which they come in blueberry or apple cinnamon or plain and are at
alot of stores now. And then I'll put Brown & Brummel blueberry spread.  They
were GF last time I checked.

*  I saw your post requesting ideas for GF school lunches. You might want to
check a book called "Kids with Celiac Disease: A Family Guide to Raising
Happy, Healthy Gluten-Free Children." Everything in it pertains to adults as
well as kids, but it thoroughly covers the topic of school lunches, snacks,
etc.

*  I am right there with you babe.  My lunches are, to say the least,
creative.
I am big into rice and my handy rice cooker.  I make a vat of it early in
the week.  The cooker allows me to dump and walk away.  Then I take that and
whatever for on top.  Sandwich meat, butter, soy sauce, salt and
pepper...whatever.  Also there are some "Healthy Choice" soups that we can
buy as well as one or two Campbell soups (I am sorry I always have to look in
my book for the kinds and don't know them on top of my head...I think one is
HC split pea and another HC bean and bacon but check).  For crackers try
"Blue Diamond - Nut thins" - You can purchase those at the regular grocery
store by the specialty (more expensive) crackers, they are really good.
Fruits are your friends of course.  Sometimes I am in such a pince that I
just bring a hunk of celery and the peanut butter jar and clean and assemble
at work. Chips are good snacks/lunch/topping for my rice (I told you
creative).
Dinner and next days lunch:  The best thing I have started doing is just
taking out some kind of meat from the freezer in the morning so it dethaws
while I am at work.  I don't think about what sounds good I just grab and
dethaw. That way when I get home something is ready/dethawed to be thown in
the oven and baked without much effort or thought.  I am also starting to
warm to the idea of a crock pot and roasts.  As I am watching TV at night
just chopping up chunks of onion and potatoe and throw that roast in
sprinkled with Ms. Dash and leave it overnight to cook (I am talking a few
minutes tops...no fancy cuts of veggies, skins on the poatoes, the baby
carrots you buy in the bag, a snapped up piece of celery).

*Lunch is tough. I'm not a teacher, but also bring my lunch to work.  Here
are some ideas:
Use corn tortilla's to make a few small wraps.  Be sure to steam them first
to soften: I put them between moist paper towels and microwave for 20
seconds.  Fill with any sandwich stuff you like.  I do tuna salad and egg
salad a lot because I can make a bunch and keep it in the frig. Plus lettuce,
tomato, sprouts, whatever. Wrap them in saran-wrap to hold together till
lunch. Add an apple around 3pm and no hunger!

Make quick tacos using canned spicy pinto beans...in corn shells, of course.
Bring some quick grated cheese, lettuce and tomato in a baggie.  At work
microwave the taco part to warm the beans and add the toppings.
Some weeks I'll make a big pot of white sticky rice on Sunday, then stick it
in the frig.  In the morning I'll put some in my tupperware, add a spoonful
of GF bullion, a dash of GF soy sauce, and a handful of frozen mixed veggies
(I'm talking tasty veggies not just peas and carrots).  At work add enough
water to fill just over half the container and microwave covered for about 5
minutes. Tasty and filling.
If I don't have 10 minutes to fix something in the AM, I'll grab a can of
'Health Valley' soup OR 'A Taste of Thai' instant noodle packs (these are
like Ramen, just with Rice noodles...loaded with sodium so only when running
really late)  I find these at my grocery store, but you may need to go to the
natural foods store.  They're decent back ups.

Just some other thoughts that might help dealing with a busy life and a crazy
diet.  Do the big pot of rice thing...once a week make to much rice.  It is
always handy for lunch or dinner to have that done, then all you have to do
is microwave a veggie and do some meat or fish on the stove.  I make
everything on the stove in a skillet...poached I guess.  Put your meat in,
fill with half water and add flavor (I like garlic or Italian herbs or honey
and mustard or add a small amount of water and dump in some jarred spaghetti
sauce).  Cook it on high until the liquid boils off and it's done.  Takes ten
minutes. Maybe look into other rice-based food styles; I like Asian and
middle eastern food a lot.  Of course, as others on the list may know, I
don't "substitute".  I just find that making or trying GF bread, cakes, and
other stuff is
just sad, frustrating, and not appetizing.  Another personal thing I've
noticed is that I gain weight quickly if I eat a lot of starch or carb-laden
foods at dinner...so I eat that stuff at lunch and only occasionally at
dinner. Same thing with salty pre-made
food.
Anyway, I hope this helps out.  Celiac is a tough thing to deal with,
especially in the US where everything is expected to be instant and life
never gives you a breather.

* I travel frequently with my volunteer work and have numerous other food
allergies that make it extremely difficult for me to eat out along with
others.  I bring my food and eat in the restaurant with them.  What do I take?
I usually have a salad base - I mix up iceberg and any other lettuce that is
a good price that week with red cabbage and shredded carrot.  I then add some
type of meat - often chicken, but it may be pork or leftover meat loaf or
roast beef and sometimes tuna or hard boiled/scrambled eggs.  When I cook
them I plan for several days of "lunch meat" as leftover.  I add a vegetable
- I like adding cooked frozen peas.  Sometimes I will use canned beans - like
garbanzos, kidney, black, etc.  Or some of each.  I add some sliced black
olives - they are my "salad dressing" (since I can't use commercial salad
dressing that I have found).  I use a big handful of lettuce mix, 1/2 cup -
2/3 cup of vegetables, 2-3 ounces of meat.  This along with a big mug of hot
tea usually will do the trick.  If not I have an apple.  I also carry peanuts
to fill in or tide me over to the next meal.  I really don't use bread at
all.  I do have rice cakes at home - but they are mainly a vehicle for eating
peanut butter! If I can plan well enough - sometimes I will have some stir
fry leftover. If I have leftover rice I may add that to the salad.  I really
don't have too much of the "traditional" starch with my meals.  By using peas
or beans I get a better carbohydrate and I have been able to control my
weight much easier.

*
I am actually retired, but my daughter is gluten free and is also a teacher.
Her lunch room has a microwave.  If you can find a microwave on campus, then
you might be interested in the way she handles the lunch problem.  She cooks
a hugh pot of soupy vegetable and bean and meat stew.  She does this on the
weekend.  She takes a container each day and has a hearty lunch.  Rice
crackers and cheese is another thought.

You might try to find an energy bar or two that is gluten free.  I understand
they are very filling.  I drink chocolate insure plus quite often during the
day because I too am hungry all the time.  It satisfies me and is like
drinking a glass of chocolate milk.

*  Look for Hummus (various spellings, but all have garbanzo beans, sesame,
lemon and garlic - some also have olive oil- look in a greek or middle-east
deli or some refrigerator cases - also available as a  dry mix but this is
not as tasty) - it's great with veggie sticks - good protein! dairy free...
filling.
 It is also easy to make from canned garbonzos & can or jar of tahini (sesame
'butter') if you have a food processor.  Keeps in fridge for up to a week. &
while we are on beans - canned beans added to a slaw of any vegie(s) you like
plus GF dressing of choice.
Lentils cook quickly and are good cold w/ a bit of salad dressing or salsa;
and if you have the microwave, have 'em hot! But a word of caution - I have
to pick thru lentils before cooking like I would for stones & spoilage in any
dried bean, as lentils seem often contaminated with a few whole grains/cup.
Also, Diamond Nuts makes some good GF nut crackers to dip in the hummus -
pecan, almond and hazlenut varieties.
Also, just plain nuts plus cheese or yoghurt if you can eat dairy is a good
lunch.
& tortilla chips!  if corn agrees with you. my philosophy has been to enjoy
the GF foods I have always enjoyed before I knew I had celiac - just more
often!

THE END!!!!  Thanks to one and all for all of your questions and support.
This is a fantastic group of people.

Stay healthy,

Linda in Savannah, GA