Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Chase Delaney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 15:00:09 EDT

Dear Listmates:
Please accept my apologies for the rather lengthy delay in posting this
summary:
A bad flu -a real clinger onner - and then a wonderful reunion with my
brother who I never knew while growing up.  Good excuses, eh?
So, back to the alternative grains summary.  First, since it's been so long,
my original post:

> I am hoping to expand my diet to include buckwheat, and possibly other grain
> alternatives such as amaranth and quinoa, if I can tolerate any of these.  I
> am an extremely sensitive celiac.  So before I begin to experiment with
> these
> "other" grains I thought I'd ask the list about experiences with them:  any
> success stories out there with ingesting any or all of these alternatives?
> Any particular brands of buckwheat, etc., that have worked?  I am aware of
> possible cross-contamination issues in the manufacturing/transport of
> grains,
> but have read that certain companies go to great lengths to address these
> issues.  I am in the Northeast U.S., so brands available here would be most
> helpful.
>        The website, www.celiac.com, suggests that these grain alternatives,
> though once thought unsafe for consumption by celiacs, are now believed to
> indeed be safe, though each individual is different.  But there is no
> substitution for ACTUAL experiences, so ..... anyone had any luck with this?
> Thank you, in advance, for your responses, and I will of course summarize
> them.

I received approximately 40 responses.  (THANK YOU!)  Responses were
conflictual, with no clear pattern emerging.  I must say, in all my research
on celiac disease, the one premise that most often bears repeating is this:
we must listen to our own bodies, for what is right and best is truly
individual.

REACTIONS:

23 respondents CAN eat buckwheat, 6 cannot.

21 respondents CAN eat quinoa, 11 cannot.

13 respondents CAN eat amaranth, 6 cannot.

People's tastes differed: some had no adverse reactions to buckwheat, for
instance, but did not like the taste.

Here are some favorites:
BUCKWHEAT:  Hodgson Mills buckwheat flour (good pancake recipe right on bag),
Pocono brand Cream of Buckwheat hot cereal, Van's buckwheat frozen waffles,
Wolff's Kasha.
QUINOA:  Bob's Red Mill, Ancient Harvest, Tinkyada quinoa/corn pasta, web
site www.quinoa.com (Norquin brand)
AMARANTH:  Arrowhead Mills (one respondent had a problem with this one,
others did not), Nature's Path.

I can HAPPILY report that I have thus far experimented successfully with
buckwheat, with no adverse reaction!  I am immensely enjoying Wolff's Kasha
and Lifestream Frozen Blueberry Waffles, both right from the grocery store.

My best to all of you.  I cannot begin to tell you of the difference you have
all made in my life.  Many, many thanks.

Cheers,
Chase
New Hampshire, USA