THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Pam Beckman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Nov 2003 18:35:41 -0600
Mary and Holly and thyroid discussion group:

My experience with estrogen replacement and thyroid was this:  When I
started an oral HRT, it more than doubled my need for thryoid
replacement.  I mentioned it to the Dr. I had then, and she had never heard
of such a connection.

Recently, I started with a new doctor, and he indicated that in his
experience  women who started oral HRT needed more thyroid replacement, and
switched me to a topical cream containing estrogen and progesterone in the
same dosages.  My need for thyroid has plummeted.  Before the switch I was
taking 15 to 18 grains of Armour thyroid per day, and after, 6-8
grains...although I may have to increase slightly in the deep of
winter.   This is the dose I was on before oral HRT.  Evidently the topical
cream gets the HRT in the system bypassing the liver, which then is less
busy and can concentrate on making better use of the oral thyroid
meds.   My new doctor predicted I would need less thyroid if I switched to
the topical cream...

I don't know how this information plays for people with other endocrine
stuff going on, but this is my experience.  (I am on HRT, thryoid
replacement and meds for high blood pressure.)  Hope this helps
someone.   One additional thought, once I hit perimenopause caffeine
wreaked havoc with everything....In order to get everything else under
control, I've had to quit taking coffee altogether.
Pam

Response to this excerpted message:
Mary,
   For my  other replacements, it is suggested that I up my dose by 1/3 if
estrogen
falls.  Vice versa, if estrogen is replaced fully, I need 1/3 less of my
other replacements.  (Adrenal insufficiency--therefore I replace
cortisol and mineralocorticoid.)  I'm not sure if the thyroid hormone
works the same way, but apparently less estrogen could indicate a need
for upping it.

Holly