THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Samantha Goddard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 03:41:26 EST
[log in to unmask] writes:

> I am very confused, tired of feeling like I cannot cope with everyday life,
> and being a cry-baby :)!  I have wondered about anti-depressants (would
> prefer
> to avoid!) to help until this gets sorted out.

I have been hyper thyroid (but overweight) for 2 years now. By pure chance I
was diagnosed with very high insulin levels.. and since following a diet to
reduce these levels, not only have I lost 40lbs but for the first time  in
many many years I actually feel and look well. The colour has returned to my
cheeks and my many skin ailments have almost cleared up.
My thyroid eye disease has almost disappeared and I honestly feel like a
diffenrent person.

My weight has been an issue since I was a child. Im now in my mid 30's and
despite eating less and less I continued to gain weight.  Dieticians and
doctors told me to follow a low fat and high Carb diet which was making me
put on more and more weight. When I put on weight they just told me that I
was lying about what I was eating  (I dont know who they thought I was lying
to!) but I wasnt.
In the first week of this diet I lost 11lbs. Forgetting the weight loss -
which I have a long way to go yet, I feel so much better.

Since following the diet for 3 months I halved my insulin levels (although
they are still 4 x higher than they should be) but obiously not 8 x what they
should be.
My doctor prior to this, was at a complete loss to know what to do with me.
He kept looking into other things that he thought might be the cause - but
never even considered high insulin levels despite my telling him that I
thought I may have them as I also have PCO (which also has now disappeared
since following the diet)

I have no idea if this is of any relevance to anyone one else, but I swear
when I am down to 120lbs I am going to write a book about this.
I have struggled ALL my adult life with a serious weight problem and been
told I am  lying about what I eat and how much excercise I do. I have been
thinking Im going mad - and no one has ever believed me..  now I realise that
a lot of my problems were caused by the insulin - including possibly the
thyroid condition - as that has dramatically improved too since following an
insulin reducing diet.

I can only speak from personal experience but would be happy to give more
info if any one needs it.
Samantha

 Thyroid messages contain only the opinions of their authors.
 Opinions expressed on Thyroid do not necessarily reflect the
 opinions of the management, publisher, or our advertisers.

 Change your own account here
   http://www.Emissary.Net/Thyroid/index.html

If a question isn't answered on Thyroid, check the Thyroid Archives:
<http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/thyroid.html> and ask again!