THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Greg De Guzman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 2002 12:14:15 +0800
From: "Samantha Goddard" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>

> thanks for the advice Greg. But I actually get those symptoms if I
FORGET to
> take the medication!!  Thats what I was like before I started to take
> Carbimazole. As Ive said before, for some reason, my hyperthyroidism
seems to
> work back to front for me..
> weight gain, lethargy, brain fog etc . I think Im just weird!!

You are not weird Samantha. I'm sorry I replied without knowing first
the true context. There are actually several symptoms that overlap
between hypo and hyper. Some hyperthyroids do gain weight in contrast to
those who lose it despite a ravenous appetite. The reason for this is
simply due to the person not having crossed yet the line to the
catabolic (breakdown) phase. These hyperthyroids are differentiated from
hypos who have excessive weight gain by way of their baseline body
temperature and skin texture. Hypers always gun higher temperatures and
easily distinguished from a handshake with the typical redness of the
palms (palmar erythema). There are also depressive symptoms for some
like the elderly whose typical hyper symptoms are cardiac in nature like
atrial fibrillation or even just a fast heart rate. This form of
hyperthyroidism is called "Apathetic Hyperthyroidism". The lethargy in
hypers is due to proximal muscle weakness and easily elicited by
difficulty in climbing stairs.

Antithyroid drugs are not like thyroid hormones that have a longer
half-life. They are dosed in such a way that there is enough and some
reserve to take care of the excessive hormone production. Usually it
takes about a week to feel the symptoms after dose adjustment. In your
case you might need a little more to avoid the hyper symptoms within one
or two days.

Greg

  Control Your Self-Serve Thyroid Account Here
Rules - mailto:[log in to unmask]
NoMail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Mail - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Not DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
DAILY DIGEST - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Stop Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Attachments - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Force Subject: [THYROID] - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Subscribe - <http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?SUBED1=thyroid>
Unsubscribe - mailto:[log in to unmask]
Thyroid Archives - http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/thyroid.html
Contact List Owners - mailto:[log in to unmask]