EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David Bolter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 2004 14:23:27 -0500
I am forwarding this message from Greg Gay:

"Hi Mollie
A colleague forwarded your message to me.

We did a full Section 508 evaluation of the upcoming Vista release.
Having followed their progress with accessibility from the beginnings of
WebCT, I can say things have improved greatly since the early versions.
Most of Vista is reasonably accessible to users of current assistive
technologies, with some of the usual barriers and usability issues
associated with Java functionality, screen complexity, and lack of
feedback. They are working to correct these issues, introducing SWING
components into their applets (the chat/whiteboard is in progress), and
creating smaller pages with additional within pages navigation elements
for  moving through large data table, long forms, etc, and have started
providing some feedback after a few executed functions. I expect that
within a release or two, they'll have fully accessible product.
Overall, the upcoming Vista is relatively close to being 508 compliant.
Instructor/Designers would likely still have some difficulty developing
content, but knowledgable AT users should not have any trouble moving
through the student views.

Vista would not pass a WCAG 1.0 compliance evaluation, primarily because
of reliance on Javascript, and unvalidated markup. They'll likely do
much better when WCAG 2.0 is the standard, which we anticipate will
allow the use of Javascript in an accessible manner.

Perhaps if you asked them, they would release the most recent
evaluation. It is a relatively good review, when considering the larger
state of eLearning system accessibility. There's always room for
improvement...

greg"

 See EASI Special October Bonus offer at http://easi.cc/clinic.htm
EASI November courses are:
Barrier-free E-learning, Accessible Internet Multimedia and Business Benefits of Accessible IT Design:
http://easi.cc/workshop.htm
EASI Home Page http://www.rit.edu/~easi

>>> Error in line 8 of EASI.MAILTPL: unknown formatting command <<<