EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Gardner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 08:26:05 -0800
There have been some interesting discussions in this thread suggesting or
speculating on alternate ways to make links accessible without it having a
meaningful text.  Dennis and Alan, I really object to anything that depends
on additional or special functionality for screen readers.  A screen reader
is a horribly complex piece of software, and our concern should be
simplifying this software, not making it yet more complex.  The latter path
will inevitably make screen readers break even more than they do now.

I accidentally deleted one suggestion - of using a graphic with a
meaningful ALT tag.  In principle, this is a reasonable way to make links
when graphics are more accessible to sighted users.  Navigation maps for
example can often be made more visually attractive and maybe even more
useful with a graphic.  Using a graphic for no purpose other than changing
the displayed text seems to be asking for trouble.  In the same spirit as
making life easier for screen readers, we must also make sure we are not
making life unnecessarily difficult for web masters who have to maintain
sites.  Links evolve rapidly with time but graphics seem to be her
forever.  Putting in a graphic for a link requires that the web master
remember to change the alt text any time a link is changed.  I discourage
this kind of "access" for the same reason I oppose text only pages.  The
special pages are never up to date.

John

At 08:14 AM 2/28/2003 -0500, Denis Anson wrote:
>Alan,
>
>A couple of years ago, I did a survey of screen reader manufacturers,
>and about half of the screen readers were able to read Title.  So,
>while it may be useful in some cases, it certainly isn't "The answer."
>
>The *big* issue for access is those systems that make a list of links
>external to a page, to facilitate navigation.  A long list of "Click
>here." links doesn't help much.  It would be important, even when title
>is supported, to know if the lists import the title attribute as well
>as the text of a link, or these links would still be difficult to
>navigate.
>
>Denis Anson
>

>Alan Cantor wrote:
>

> >Hello EASI Colleagues,
> >
> >What is the story on the HTML title attribute? How well is it
>supported? I know title is not a panacea, but it does seem to have
>potential for improving access to many previously inaccessible
>elements.
> >
> >This question stems from a message I just received from a web master
>who is dealing with content providers who insist that she use "click
>here" for a mailto link. She is trying to work around this by using the
>title attribute for the link. She writes:
> >
> >To me [click here] presents a problem. The link is not clear labeled;
>it has no definite destination. In addition it is contrary to Guideline
>13. Provide clear navigation mechanisms,
> >
> >checkpoint 13.1 Clearly identify the target of each link. [Priority 2]
> >
> >Link text should be meaningful enough to make sense when read out of
>context-either on its own or as part of a sequence of links. Link text
>should also be terse.
> >
> >For example, in HTML, write "Information about version 4.3" instead of
>"click here". In additional to clear link text, content developers may
>further clarify the target of a link with an informative link title
>(e.g., in HTML, the "title" attribute).
> >
> >I tested the title attribute on a <<click here>> text link with the
>trial version of JAWS. It does not read the title on this text link.
> >
> >If I [use the mouse to] put the focus in the table cell or near the
>link where the link is using the title attribute, JAWS will read the
>title.
> >
> >Regardless of focus JAWS does read the title attribute around a graphic.
> >
> >What are your thoughts around the title attribute and how does it work
>for users?
> >

> >Alan Cantor
> >Project Manager
> >Strategic e-Government Implementation
> >e-Government, OCCS
> >416-212-1152
> >

>--------------------
>Denis Anson, MS, OTR
>Assistant Professor
>College Misericordia
>301 Lake St.
>Dallas, PA 18612
>Phone: 570-674-6413

John Gardner
Professor and Director, Science Access Project
Department of Physics
Oregon State University
Corvallis, OR 97331-6507
tel: (541) 737 3278