From:
Wendy Andreason <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wendy Andreason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Oct 2002 22:10:46 +0000

Hello! I am new to the list and just full of questions!  I have a son who is
8, is very small (weighs 40 lbs) and has severe abdominal pain everyday.
After an endoscopy they said his problem was ulcers in his esophogus and
gave him Prevacid. Even at that time I asked the doctor if he was sure the
labs didn't switch the biopsy because the biopsy said exactly the opposite
of what the doctor saw (he said the deodunum was smooth and he though
Celiac, but the biopsy came back normal).   After 9 months of the meds I
took him back in. It was helping but not enough. So when I brought him back
in he did the antibody screen. His IgG was very high but the others were
normal.  SO now they want to do a barium swallow or a small bowel
follow-through.  The doctor told me to take him off the wheat until the test
results come back.  I had another son diagnosed with an IBD two weeks ago
and am very stressed. THe no wheat diet lasted TWO hours. I am serious. So I
went to the store thinking I would find gluten-free bread etc. and would
just start again. Boy was I surprised! My son is a picky eater in the first
place (probably due to pain). I have noticed a lot of recipes and
brand-names on the posts. Being a beginner I am completely over whelmed and
to be honest I hate to cook. Am I doomed? Isn't there some bread I can just
buy somewhere? Pasta? The doctor said Celiac looks like a long shot, does it
sound like that to you guys?  This doctor is the same working on my older
IBD boy and I don't even know if he is 'good.' I like him, my boys like him.
  He seems to make sense and know what he is doing.  I am not unhappy with
his services. But when I chose him I didn't know I had a child with a
life-long disease and I have done no research on Pediatric Gastro Dr.s. Does
the barium thing sound necessary? Would it really show Celiac?  And to be
gluten free at this point is not really possible, due to my ignorance. I
have no idea what to feed him. And where can I check to see if the doctor
has the necessary credentials? What are the necessary credentials? I am in
Utah, if anyone knows a good doctor in the area please send his name along.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Wendy

Get faster connections -- switch to MSN Internet Access!