THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Greg De Guzman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Jul 2003 13:26:43 +0800
Reference: Thyroid, Microsoft Encarta 2003 Reference Library

According to a Study by the US National Cancer Institute,
  1.. Bet. 10,000 to 75,000  of US population may or may have developed
thyroid cancer as a result of Radioactive Fallout in the '50s and early
'60s. 30% have already been diagnosed.
  2.. In those less than 20 years old between 1951 and 1962, about 420,000
cases of non-fallout thyroid cancer is expected. There were 90 above ground
Atomic Bomb Tests that occured between that period.
  3.. Data from the Chernobyl accident in 1986 suggests the ling between
thyroid cancer and I-131 exposure. Belarus and Ukraine cancer rate
dramatically increased. These places were heavily exposed.
  4.. The study found that population in all 48 contiguous US states were
exposed to some level of  I-131 exposure from the Nevada detonations
between 1951 and 1962.
  5.. For the entire US, the average exposure was 2 Rads. Thyroid Scanning
of a child uses about .4 to 4 Rads.
  6.. Those who ingested milk and lived downwind from the site received as
much as 110 Rads!
  7.. High levels of exposure occured in parts of Montana, Idaho, Utah,
South Dakota, and Colorado. Meagher County, Montana and Custer, Gem, Blaine
and Lemhi, Idaho received 12 to 16 Rads per person.
MY QUESTION TO THE LIST..

Has anyone seen studies or materials that link this I-131 Exposure to the
Clinical and Sub-Clinical Hypothyroidism as presently experieced? If I-131
is a preferred protocol to permanently arrest hyperthyroidism, wouldn't the
constant exposure of the population during the 50s to early 60s, and a coup
d' grace from the Chernobyl accident, have something to do with this seeming
prevalence of hypothyroidism?

Hope this helps..

Greg

 Thyroid messages contain only the opinions of their authors.
 Opinions expressed on Thyroid do not necessarily reflect the
 opinions of the management, publisher, or our advertisers.

 Change your own account here
   http://www.Emissary.Net/Thyroid/index.html

If a question isn't answered on Thyroid, check the Thyroid Archives:
<http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/thyroid.html> and ask again!