THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Edward Reisman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 May 2003 16:42:34 EDT
In a message dated 4/21/03 8:36:19 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< By the way has anyone else been a patient of Dr Rind? >>

In the winter of 1999-2000, when I was living near Philadelphia (a one-year
stay), I had a GROTESQUE experience with an endo. from U. Penn Medical
Center, who took me off the little Cytomel I was on and had me take T4 only.

Many of my hypo symptoms got worse: edema, weight gain, carpal tunnel
syndrome, and a brain fog that prevented me from remembering a phone number
unless I immediately wrote it down.

In desparation, I consulted the Wilson's Syndrome Website, and paid for a
list of doctors in my neck of the woods who could treat Wilson's Syndrome.
(In those days, they charged for such referrals).

I got Dr. Rind's name in early December, '99, and made an appointment to see
him in late Jan., 2000.  During the intervening weeks, per his office's
instructions, I monitored my body temperature, measured 3x per day.

When I saw him, he said that the sharp "peaks and troughs" (not his words) on
my temperature readings indicated adrenal insufficiency, and that the
adrenals had to be treated before I could go on the Wilson's protocol of
Sustained-Release T3.

He recommended -- not Cortef or Prednisone --  about 10 different herb and
vitamin supplements, including the "Basic Cell Energy" pills compounded at a
local (to him) pharmacist.  When I got there ("The Apothecary"), I swallowed
hard at the bill, but coughed up the $$ anyway, because I thought it was
better than what I had been through with endos.

Within ONE DAY of taking all that stuff, my brain fog DISAPPEARED.  I
suddenly saw the world in sharper focus (no other way I can describe it).

We spoke by phone roughly every 4 weeks or so after that.  When my
temperature readings "levelled out," (after about 3 months), he started me on
the Sustained-Release T3 that is the basis of Wilson's protocol.  HOWEVER, HE
DID NOT DISCONTINUE THE T4 THAT I HAD BEEN ON.  HE SAID THAT THE SRT3 AND THE
T4 WERE EQUIVALENT, AND COULD BE COUNTED TOGETHER AS EQUAL INPUTS IN
CALCULATING MY TOTAL DOSAGE.

Anyway, by early June, I was up to 37.5 mcg. of SRT3 twice a day, along with
approx. 90 mcg. of Synthroid (T4); however, my body temperatures were still
in the 97 - 97.5 degree (F.) range.  (I was, however, experiencing spells of
sweating and extreme "overheating" most days in the evening).

 He said he didn't know why the body temp. was staying so low, and wanted to
do some research on "cellular resistance" to the T3.  By that time, I was
about to move back to California, so I did not continue using/speaking to Dr.
Rind.

In retrospect, I do not know why he kept me on the T4.  Since people with
Wilson's tend to have alot of reverse T3 (rT3) which is produced from T4 and
which (SOMEONE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG HERE) binds to  cells keeping the T3
out, intake of T4 countered the intake and activity of the SRT3, and I was
just "spinning my wheels."

Maybe he's doing it differently now, though.

However (and I apologize for the length of this piece), you asked about Dr.
Rind.  I certainly recommend that you try him for at least a few months.
He's a very nice man, and he spends a lot of time with his patients in his
office.  He was SPOT ON about my vitamin/mineral depletion, and made my life
in those months tolerable.

Best of luck,

Edward Reisman

  Thyroid Welcome Message (Instructions) Always Available
 Anyone can obtain a fresh, new copy of the Thyroid Welcome
 message at any time (24/7) by sending an e-mail message
 saying only "get Thyroid Welcome" (remove quotes) to our
 sleepless robot at <[log in to unmask]>. Its free.