THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Greg De Guzman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 12:11:16 +0800
From: "Colleen Witzel" <[log in to unmask]>

>  It seems odd to me that her T3 levels would be
> high, especially when she intentionally skipped her dose that day and did
not
> take it until after the lab test was completed.

The biological half life of T3 is aboutt 2 days-- pharmacologic half-life is
about 8 hrs. This plus the T3 produced by conversion and thyroid could
account for the high reading. Also, when T3 is high the T4 tends to be low
due to the negative feedback from the pituitary. Pituitary T3 and some from
peripheral T4 to t3 is the determinant of thyroid regulation (Diseases of
Thyroid, Swarovsky, Priniciples of Internal Medicine 14th ed).

> Her body temp. has actually
> been around 97.-97.2 in the mornings and she has complained more about
being
> cold.

I find that T4 raises my body temperature better than pure T3.
Interestingly, this lead me to research this observation, and found out that
experimental data showed that Adipose tissue contains T4 receptors (at least
in mice). Based on this, my rationale would be that for people with thicker
insulation (i.e, some fat),  the temperature could be actually higher
internally or at the core due to thyroid supplementation, but on the skin
surface could be lower. With the T4, additional heat is generated from the
fatty insulation. Persistent elevated core temperature could bring skin
surface temp down due to cooling and blood vessels become dilated to force
blood in the radiator surfaces.

> Just wondering if anyone has a clue what might be happening. Can the Free
T3 &
>  Free T4 tests be trusted or should they be considered only slightly
better
> than TSH tests?

All these tests are estimates and the result affected by sample purity,
operator errors, and most of all INTERPRETATION. Without correlation with
the persons history-- they mean nothing. Broda Barnes says it is impossible
to measure what is actually happening inside individual cells; however, the
heat generated by the enhanced biochemical reactions is measurable.

Greg

 If you "Reply" to a message, and *you* fail to erase or delete
  the previous message, *your* message may not be distributed.

Question not answered on Thyroid? Check the Thyroid Archives:
  http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/thyroid.html
 and ask again!