THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
tealeaf3 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 01:13:13 -0500
BlankDear Group.   I'd  appreciate receiving  comments from anyone who
has experienced
a change in mental  status that was immediately reversed after   an
increased dosage
of   Armour  Thyroid.    I would also appreciate hearing of
improvements  experienced
through nutritional  changes after starting on thyroid supplements.
I noticed  began  noticing
a slow deterioration in my physical appearance and even my  thinking
despite being on what
I believe is an adequate dose of Armour Thyroid.  Finally I made the
connection between
looking unwell  to my having switched to vegetarianism several years
ago  without paying full attention to my daily protein intake.
Previously I'd provided myself  with protein automatically by
stockpiling
canned tuna and vegetables that I could open and consume while on
automatic pilot, so to
speak. Once I started to think I was a "vegetarianism"  I  would cook
up my supply of kidney
beans when I thought about it, eschewing the convenience of cans
because of their high
salt content.  If  I didn't feel up  to cooking beans, I didn't.  I
just assumed I'd do it the
next day.  Long periods of time passed when I was definitely not
consuming enough protein
to meet even minimal standards for adequate of nutrition.   Only
recently  did my low thyroid
induced brain fog clear  sufficiently for me to  realize I was
probably also  suffering from a protein deficiency. I changed back to
canned tuna and vegetables and asked my doctor to  prescribe supple-
mental  estrogen.  For good measure I added a B supplement to my daily
health care routine.
When  I read last week that alcohol appears to be  the brain's friend
I bought myself a fifth  of vodka and now take one ounce at bedtime
(hic!).   I don't know  which  of  those
 changes in my routine accomplished it,  but after several days I
called
a friend and announced  "I'm back!"    I had such unfamiliar clarity
of mind and looked so unexpectedly good  that I wondered if  I were
perhaps dying and experiencing  the rapture I'd read of on automobile
bumper stickers.    I'm guessing  my  return to protein and estrogen
provided what was still missing even after my  thyroid dosage was
adjusted. and that the vodka may be acting to clear my brain.  There
is a legacy of Alzheimer's Disease and vascular dementia in my family
history that I intuitively suspect had its roots in undiagnosed
hypothyroidism,   a deficiency in B Vitamins, plus a commitment to
tee-totalarianism. My parents, the only members of their families to
die  possessed of all their faculties,  were also the only drinkers in
the family.   I 'm sending this
information for whatever interest it might be to anyone in the group.
Best,   Edith  Wallace