THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Colleen Witzel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Feb 2003 10:31:54 EST
Hi Group,

I have commented on my dry eye problems several times. I went to the
optomologist in Nov. and he told me my condition  wasn't going away and I
would just have to live with it! Then he told me to use drops a min. of 6-8
times a day, the expensive ones of course!  My eyes were red, itchy, crusty
and painful. I have tried Ginkgo, Cod liver oil, vitamin A, beta carotene,
eye bright, etc. I had eye plugs inserted 3 years ago and the improvement was
very minimal.

I felt there was an answer to this problem, even if the Dr. did not have a
clue. About a month ago I came across a site that is run by an Optomologist.
Here is what they recommend for dry eye condition, I have been doing this and
the improvement is remarkable! I use drops once in the morning and
occasionally during the day IF I need them. I still use an ointment at night.

Eat 12 almonds or walnuts a day
Take 6 capsules of primrose oil a day, 500 mg.

Do not substitute peanuts or any other nut. I prefer the almonds over the
walnuts. I do not take this all at once, but spread it through the day. I am
now to the point I think I can actually adjust the quantity down. This
formula provides the right kind of fats needed for improvement.

The additional nuts may create a need for more fiber. I found by taking a
couple vinegar capsules it helps create more stomach acid and I am able to
digest food better. The vinegar also helps keep my weight under control.

I will be faxing the article to my Doctor when I get a chance. Too bad
Doctors are seldom are taught nutrition!

Colleen Witzel
Eugene, Oregon